Czech Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I was browsing through the BYO site and came across this recipe. I am a BIAB brewer and was wondering if I can brew using all water at one time and mash at 152 for 60 min.
The recipe calls for a two step process. I could add all water and mash at 122 for 30 then kick the heat on and mash for another 30 at 152. Would that work? It may take 10 min for the temp to get from 122 to 152 so that would mean a mash of 70-75 min.
I would also use S-23 in place of 2278.

Czech-Style Pilsner

5 Gal, O.G = 1.049 F.G. = 1.010 IBU = 35, all grain

Ingredients:

•8 lbs. two-row pilsner malt
• 1 lb. light Munich (9° Lovibond)
• 8 oz. carapils (1.7° Lovibond)
• 5.1 AAU Hallertau hops (1 oz. at 5.1% alpha acid) at boil
• 2.1 AAU Saaz hop pellets or whole hops (0.5 oz. at 4.2% alpha acid) at 20 minutes
• 2.1 AAU Saaz hop pellets or whole hops (0.5 oz. at 4.2% alpha acid) at 40 minutes
• 1.05 AAU Saaz hop pellets or whole hops (0.25 oz. at 4.2% alpha acid) at finish
• Starter of Wyeast 2278 (Czech Pils)

Step by Step:

Add approximately 2.25 gallons 135° F water to crushed grains. Stabilize at 122° F and rest for 30 minutes. Then add one gallon boiling water and bring mash to around 149° to 152° F. Rest, checking for conversion at one hour. Mash out at 168° F and sparge with 4.5 gallons water. Collect 5.5 gallons of wort and continue to boil. Boil as indicated by hopping schedule above. Total boil time is 60 minutes.

Cool beer as quickly as possible to 45° F and pitch yeast starter. Hold temperature for 14 days. Transfer lager to secondary fermenter or keg. Slowly lower temperature to as cold as possible without freezing. Hold this temperature for 60 days.

if your a BIAB brewer I think by making sure the sack of grain doesn't touch the bottom of the pot or bk you should be able to do a direct fire to raise the temp to where you want.

You could do a single infusion. With all the carapils in the recipe, id probably go around 148-149 for 90 minutes.
Id use a czech yeast if possible. If you got to use dry, 34/70 may be better. If you do use s-23, ferment at the low end of its range, and ignore the fermentation instructions above.

Latest posts

Back