Czech Pils Primary at 62 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcalico

Reaction score
I pitched yesterday using Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils, but didn't realize that my mini-fridge had given up the ghost until I went to put the carboy in it. My basement stays at a very steady 60-62 F and that's really my only option. So my question is what can I expect? Is is even worth continuing, or should I just toss it?

Same issue myself with a Festbier and mini-fridge and cooling jacket. Set it at 52, next morning was 56, the next 61. But I was using Imperial Harvest which is a yeast that is popular for warm fermenting lagers, but not what I wanted. The one thing with your yeast is that being warmer, it will help drive off sulfur quicker.

Thanks for the comments:) Krausen is forming, so it'll be beer ... Let you all know how it turns out in a couple of months. Given the temp, secondary time will be another experiment too.

You could get the temperature down a few degrees using some ice blocks--freeze some soda bottles with water in them is one possibility. If you leave a little room in the bottle it will allow for expansion and help to shape the bottle to the carboy. If you put your carboy in a laundry tub it helps to keep the blocks up against the carboy.

Update (months later): I let it lager in secondary for a good long while. It isn't a pils by any stretch, but drinks like a light brown ale. And actually VERY tasty! No off flavors or esters, and no banana - more of a nutty brown. Not sure that I could ever duplicate it, but I might try ...

Back