cyser with too much clove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaegersapper

Reaction score
This is my second batch of Cyser, last years batch didn't have enough spice Cinnamon, clove, all spice.

Soooo this time I added more, now the clove gives it a clove chewing gum taste.
I only spiced 3 gallons, and reserved the rest without spice.

I see three options:
1. add the reserved 1-2 gallons back in hopes of diluting the clove taste.
2. adding some other flavoring to cover or compliment the clove.
3. live with it and rename it Clove Chewing Gum Mead.

It doesn't taste too bad as is, just too much clove.

Does anyone have any ideas?

4 Gal Apple Cider
4 Quarts Honey
Lalvin 71B-1122
Cinnamon, clove, all spice in secondary

This is my second batch of Cyser, last years batch didn't have enough spice Cinnamon, clove, all spice.

Soooo this time I added more, now the clove gives it a clove chewing gum taste.
I only spiced 3 gallons, and reserved the rest without spice.

I see three options:
1. add the reserved 1-2 gallons back in hopes of diluting the clove taste.
2. adding some other flavoring to cover or compliment the clove.
3. live with it and rename it Clove Chewing Gum Mead.

It doesn't taste too bad as is, just too much clove.

Does anyone have any ideas?

4 Gal Apple Cider
4 Quarts Honey
Lalvin 71B-1122
Cinnamon, clove, all spice in secondary
Yeah. Blend it with the other, however much you have that's unspiced, then either bottle and store or bulk store, and age it for at least 12 months.

I made a JAO with too much clove, well it was like that once it had cleared and come off the fruit.

12 months later, the fruit was more at the forefront and a lot of the clove had mellowed just nicely.

Whole spices can be surprisingly potent, flavour-wise. It's a case of, you can always add more, but it's a bugger to try and reduce/remove if you've gone over the top with it. Joe mentions 1 clove per gallon, or 2 if you really like cloves. Always whole spices, not ground/powdered.

I'd say stick it in the cellar and taste it next year. As fastbloke says, it is a flavor that mellows. Plus, aging a mead another year can't hurt.

Low tech option.....at tableside pour 1/4 wine glass of apple juice to each glass and top off with cyser...dilutes clove and brings back the apple...no more waiting

jaegersapper said:
I haven't decided what to do, but aging requires patience I don't have.
tell you what, send it to me and I will try different things to fix it for you. I willeven sample to see if it worked. Unfortunately once I open a bottle I will have to finish it so it doesnt oxidize. But, once I find the correct solution I will send you back whatever is left ;)

Back