Cyser/braggot/graff, let's be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekage

Reaction score
Got a wild hair today, couldn't brew, so let's make something....

3 gallons of cider (used musselmans)
2 gallons great value Apple juice
1 lb dextrose
2 lb cover honey
2 1/2 lb red wheat

It got weird, didn't think everything through. I mashed the wheat in a bag on stove top in juice. It came out very cloudy and when I squeezed the bag gelatinous apply wheat juice, which is crazy delicious, oozed out of the bag. I sparged the bag with 10 oz of water, added the honey to the warm wort. Mixed ciders, juices, and wort.
I pitched this on top of a cake of wheat yeast (wb06) from a wheat beer I just kegged.
Added 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/2 tsp yeast energizer, and 1/2 tsp pectin enzyme.

Other than trying to mash in juice, I think this is going to be great. Og was 1.065

What does the wheat do? I thought grains beaded to be cracked and boiled to extract the sugars.

As for honey I thought the rule of thumb was 1 pound per gal. Juice for Cyser.

What does the wheat do? I thought grains beaded to be cracked and boiled to extract the sugars.
The wheat should give this a nice creamy head when I keg it. Not to mention, bumping the abv up a few points. And the wheat was put through my corona mill, and then mashed for about 30 minutes. Then it was brought to a boil. The mashing and sparging extracts fermentable sugars, the boiling just makes it sanitary.

As for honey I thought the rule of thumb was 1 pound per gal. Juice for Cyser.
See thread title....

Something similar happened today while I was brewing a Graff. I was like damn I forgot to buy dme and then I looked at my jar of honey and just used that instead. Let's hope it turns out good!

Back