Cyrus' Session Ale - F%&# Off, I Got Beer to Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCatman

Reaction score
Here's a 5-gallon session IPA recipe I'm putting together:

3.5# US 2-row
3.5# Maris Otter
1.5# Munich
0.5# Carafoam

0.25 oz Mosaic FWH
0.25 oz Galaxy FWH
0.75 oz Mosaic Whirlpool 20 min
0.75 oz Galaxy Whirlpool 20 min
2 oz Mosaic Dry-hop 7 days
2 oz Galaxy Dry-hop 7 days

Denny's Favorite yeast (Wyeast 1450) - stir plate starter (750 mL)
11-day primary @ 65F
9-day secondary @ 65F + dry hop
Keg at 44F

The goal here is a super-drinkable (at least in terms of ABV) hop showcase. I've used Mosaic in a SMaSH beer and absolutely loved them, so I want to experiment further with an unusual pairing. The complete absence of boil hops might be a bit unusual, but I'm thinking it might help smooth out the overall bitterness profile.

Any thoughts or opinions? Feedback is greatly appreciated!

That looks pretty tasty. I don't see a mash temp but I would go for about 155-156* were I you. I've been trying to dial in my own Session IPA and my first few attempts were out of balance due to mashing too low (not malty enough). I agree with your absence of boil hops, if you miss them throw in a 10 and 5 minute addition next time.

No feedback here other than, if the name came from TPB, I love it.

It did indeed!

That looks pretty tasty. I don't see a mash temp but I would go for about 155-156* were I you. I've been trying to dial in my own Session IPA and my first few attempts were out of balance due to mashing too low (not malty enough). I agree with your absence of boil hops, if you miss them throw in a 10 and 5 minute addition next time.

Hmmm that's an interesting point. Right now in Beersmith, I have mash at 149F. I definitely want this to be well balanced (as much as can be with this amount of hops), so maybe I'll have to raise it up a bit. When you say "too low", what temps were you at?

I started of mashing like I do my pale ales in the 150-152 range. Just tasted like it was too thin to support the hops. I was adding all hops at under 15' (no 60' addition) but a good bit like 6 oz over that 15'. I've raised the mash temps each time I've brewed it and like the 156* mash better. I might go to 158* next time.

I would start at least at 151-152* and go from there

I started of mashing like I do my pale ales in the 150-152 range. Just tasted like it was too thin to support the hops. I was adding all hops at under 15' (no 60' addition) but a good bit like 6 oz over that 15'. I've raised the mash temps each time I've brewed it and like the 156* mash better. I might go to 158* next time.

I would start at least at 151-152* and go from there

Ahh, cool. I might roll with 152F-154F.

Sounds good. I don't like making firm recommendations cause everybody's tastes are different but I dont't think you'll be dissapointed. Cheers!

Cheers, bud! I'm planning on brewing this one by the end of the month, I'll post results and the final recipe then :mug:

This recipe was brewed on Sunday! A few minor changes had to be made and I've edited the OP to reflect these (addition of dextrine malt, Galaxy instead of Motueka). The mash converted better than I had expected, 75% instead of 65% brewhouse efficiency (both previous brews since moving here performed poorly, so I planned this one on the low-end). O.G. measured at 1.050 even - I was hoping for 1.043ish, so it'll probably lose its "session" tag and just become an Extra Pale Ale or something. The settled wort tasted fantastic! It'll probably be ready to rack to secondary tomorrow. I'll post tasting notes then!

FERMENTATION UPDATE:

This batch has been in primary for 11 days now so I just added the hops for secondary. I decided to give the single-vessel dry hopping technique a try. The hops will be in for 9 days (until Sunday the 15th when I get back from vacation). Gravity measured at 1.012, which is exactly what Beersmith estimated for FG. I am thoroughly satisfied with the flavor and aroma so far. Hop-forward with a nice, smooth bitterness and a juicy tropical sweetness. The body is just right, nice and light without being watery. Here are some pics:

OG wort sample, crystal-clear.

Gravity sample from today, much cloudier than the wort.

This greasy bastard is done carbing so here are some quick observations and tasting notes. Pours pale and cloudy, almost like a good Hefeweizen but with a faint green-ish tint instead of orange-ish. The head is nice and full, bright white. The nose is very, very tropical, dominated by fresh-sliced pineapple. Pineapple carries through into the flavor, very juicy but not sweet at all. Bitterness is prominent, comes in late and lingers. Mouthfeel is just right - light and quaffable without being watery.

Recommended changes: IBUs are just a touch too high, would shift a portion of the FWH addition to whirlpool; tropical flavors are a bit one-dimensional, would probably add CTZ or similar; color is a bit on the pale side, would shift a portion of the malt base to Munich.

Overall I'm very happy with this recipe. I hope the weather gets nicer quickly so I can truly enjoy it before it's gone!

56468492.jpg

Back