Cutting down gas in pipe on a corny ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
One of my cornys has a gas pipe that is only about 1" long while the others are about 2.5"... Seems I can fit an extra quarter gallon or so in the keg without getting the end of the stick wet. Does anyone else use extra short gas in pipes ?

Use a pipe cutting tool, it'll prevent crushing.

74-produktbild-cutting_pipes-mini_pipe_cutter.194049.0.jpg

M_C

Good Idea misplaced- I have one of those somewhere.. I have 11 gallons fermenting and hope to get it into two kegs !

yeh i've used pipe cutter to shorten liquid out tubes as well.. allows sediment to collect at bottom and you don't suck it up into your beer.

Bobby_M said:
Some of my gas dip tubes on pinlock kegs are literally 1/4" deep. They don't even stick out into the keg. They are only there to compress the oring.

The reason I cut mine on my pinlocks is because there's no manual release to purge the head space of oxygen.. The first time I pushed the poppet down I got blasted with a face full of stout..lol.. I quickly cut all the others before I filled them... Lesson learned....

I never viewed the gas dip tube as a lid stop. The bale on the lid catches the opening on its most narrow dimension.
I think what he meant is that since you can fill it up so much more before reaching the bottom of that dip tube, it's difficult to get the lid inside the keg with dunking a little bit of it in the beer.

I have 2 pinlocks that I use purely for secondary (when I use a secondary) and I cut the gas dip tubes really short (with a Dremel and cutting wheel) then deburred it with a Dremel sanding attachment. But if I fill it all the way up one end of the lid is getting wet.

SpanishCastleAle said:
I think what he meant is that since you can fill it up so much more before reaching the bottom of that dip tube, it's difficult to get the lid inside the keg with dunking a little bit of it in the beer.

I have 2 pinlocks that I use purely for secondary (when I use a secondary) and I cut the gas dip tubes really short (with a Dremel and cutting wheel) then deburred it with a Dremel sanding attachment. But if I fill it all the way up one end of the lid is getting wet.
Ive also filled my pinlocks by priming them with Co2 then using extra connects, slowly bleeding off the pressure leaving the gas connector attached with a hose into a glass to catch overflow and filling through the out side with a connector attached to my auto siphon. If your worried about getting the lid wet why not try that.. I'm more worried about the oxygen than getting my starsan soaked lid wet ;)

Yes that is what I meant. I ran into that exact situation last night.

I gave it a little thought and decided that if I install the lid BEFORE filling and leave it loose, I probably could fill it without the lid taking a swim.

M_C

Back