cutting a test jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
This came with my kit
HydroJar.jpg
This thing is 14" tall! It takes 8oz of beer just to get it high enough to grab the hydrometer out. Can you cut one of these down, as long as the hydrometer doesn't bottom out. Has anyone else done this? It seem's to be hard brittle plastic that will crack if you don't do it right.

wildwest450 said:
This came with my kit This thing is 14" tall! It takes 8oz of beer just to get it high enough to grab the hydrometer out. Can you cut one of these down, as long as the hydrometer doesn't bottom out. Has anyone else done this? It seem's to be hard brittle plastic that will crack if you don't do it right.

Sure, you could probably just cut it with a hacksaw.

I drink the samples I take though, and share them with whoever happens to be around (usually my wife) so that they can also see how beer progresses as it matures. For that reason, I've not been too concerned with the size of my hydrometer test jar.

Austin

mcaustin said:
Sure, you could probably just cut it with a hacksaw.

I drink the samples I take though, and share them with whoever happens to be around (usually my wife) so that they can also see how beer progresses as it matures. For that reason, I've not been too concerned with the size of my hydrometer test jar.

Austin
I agree, but at 8oz a crack your talking a quart of beer lost, I don't need to drink a quart of green beer:D

don't cut it too short. I would fill it with water, and then put the hydro in and push it down to about 0.900 or even 0.800 - then give yourself another 1/4" at the very least.

That'll let this graduated cylinder measure any meads or wines you decide to make in the future, and give you a little space to avoid bouncing it off the bottom when you put it in, which will only happen once or twice before the hydro cracks.

I think you'll find that only lets you cut off an inch or so.

Do remember that beer is a process of loss. Everytime you rack, you lose beer.
If losing 8oz kills you that much, you might wanna switch to 10gal batches so its less loss proportionally.

+1 for TexLaw. Just mark where you you would absolutely fill it with a marker or rubber band. If you only need to fill it half way to take a reading, fill it half way. If you try to cut it you could break it and would have to buy another one.

Well, I tried cutting one that had a big chip in the lip. Even with a 32 tooth per inch hacksaw, the tube cracked some more.

I have a pair of bamboo tongs that I use to grab various hot things while brewing and they are small enough to fit into the 14" tube I normally use.

put something in the bottom to take up space. sand or some other filler. Just don't drink the sample then.....

I only fill it enought to float the hydrometer and when done I pour out the sample while holding my finger over the jar catching the hydrometer.

Linc

I have a short one (test jar only) and a long one, I always use the long one, I just marked it with a sharpie to the needed fill level. No more runovers like when I used to use the short one.

I cut it to short.:eek: :( :mad: Oh well, I didn't like it anyway. I just used the tube the hydrometer came in, it worked well. Stupid me.

c.n.budz said:
I use a McDonalds straw to get my hydro out of my test jar. The end of the starw fits perfectly over the tip of the hydro, then I just tilt it a bit and lift the hydro right out

I just let it hit me in the teeth when I drink the sample :D

I always adjust my batch size up to allow for testing, racking, dry hop, etc. That way I don't stress about it. I have Minibrew fermenters, so part of the fun is dumping the lees, taking a sample, etc. It's part of the process for me. :)

If you're worried about 8 oz, you're not putting enough into primary. Formulate for 5.5 gallons. You can also stop taking so many samples. I only test as I'm racking to secondary and it's partially just to sneak a taste and for documentatoin purposes. Do people really adhere to the "check the gravity for 3 consecutive days" thing? It's one of the worst pieces of advice I've seen here, IMHO of course.

Bobby_M said:
Do people really adhere to the "check the gravity for 3 consecutive days" thing? It's one of the worst pieces of advice I've seen here, IMHO of course.

+1

I do not do this, it seems excessive to me. I used to check FG a few days after krausen fall, again before racking to secondary, and again before bottling. But in my (limited) experience it doesn't change by more than a point or two after the krausen falls so I only do it once now.

Bobby_M said:
If you're worried about 8 oz, you're not putting enough into primary. Formulate for 5.5 gallons. You can also stop taking so many samples. I only test as I'm racking to secondary and it's partially just to sneak a taste and for documentatoin purposes.

Big +1

I used to take a sample when I racked to secondary (anywhere from 10 - 30 days after brewing) and then again when kegging.

Now that I have my Minibrew conicals, I really only sample prior to kegging - which is typically sometime after a month or so after brewing. I also tend to brew 5.5 gallons as well, so I really don't worry about the sample size taking away from my final batch size.

Austin

Beerthoven said:
+1

I do not do this, it seems excessive to me. I used to check FG a few days after krausen fall, again before racking to secondary, and again before bottling. But in my (limited) experience it doesn't change by more than a point or two after the krausen falls so I only do it once now.

By default checking it 3 days in a row just necesitates that you leave it for at least another three days, as you won't have the ability to have 3 full days in a row if you check on the 2nd day, so you check it, wait 3 days check it again. If it is the same you rack it, if not wait another 3 days etc.

I primary in buckets (except for mead) so I can just drop the hydro in, read it, and close it up again.

Latest posts

Back