Cut worms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taterosu

Reaction score
Ok guys. this is my first time growing hops but I have grown about everything that can be in sw Oklahoma at some point in my life lol.. My plants are being destroyed. They are still fairly small and getting ate faster than they can grow. The only problem we have here as far as insects that I have heard people talk about is cut worms. I know we have them and a ton of them. They are eating the leaf and leaving nothing but the viens in the leaves. Has anyone had any problems with cut worms in their hops beds and how did you control them. I couldnt wait any longer so I already applied some seven dust. Anyone use this any? I have respect the natural techniquies but have tried it many times in the garden without good results. Im going straight to the pesticides and need some advice.. Thanks everyone for your input in advance

I have never dealt specifically with cut worms, but I have found a mix of 1 gallon water, 3 tablespoons of ordinary dish soap and 2-3 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol has murdered any soft bodied critters I have come across. I apply a good soaking, MAKE SURE TO GET THE UNDERSIDES TOO. After half a day, or overnight, I will rinse, wait a day or two and repeat. If I still have critters, I will do it again. Hope this helps. :mug:

thank you.. I will try. I have even put some solar lights around them. Cut worms dont like light lol.. Im willing to try anything at this point

Not sure what seven dust is... have you tried Diatomaceous earth? Usually does the trick for me. You'll find it at most garden stores.

A non invasive way to deal w cut worms is to take a straw and slit it down the side, then place it on the base of your bines so the worms cant get to the first 8" or so

I tried 4 years to grow hops in Oklahoma. Gave them premium conditions.

The best way I found to counter the near constant attacks was to rip everything out decideing that Oklahoma is just way too harsh on them. From the bugs to the constant changes in climate it was just too much for them.

Best of luck to you.

Back