Cut my first keg today....SUCCESS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So there are some kegs just sitting across from my job behind a dumpster.

Waited patientally to see if they were ever going to be picked up and they basically sat there 2 weeks. Would of actually grabbed before but I let it slip my mind...I know a bar closed down recently and I think they just put them out there.

Well this morning....I took the car straight over and grabbed one early before work.

Did some web research on how to cut it....I like working on things but never any deeper than plain old dremel.

Found 2 great links...One for the items needed and one for how to actually open the keg, release air and remove ball valve and cut it.

For someone who has NEVER cut one, it came out basically perfect in my eyes.

Two links = Video of Items (HERE) ...grand total spent was $24 using 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight and Video of opening and cutting()

All in all...took me roughly 35 mins or so. Cannot get any better than that. Now to just order false bottom as this will be my mash tun and some reflectix.

20150331_163855.jpg

20150331_173103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My keggle, uses the cut out as the lid. Weld 3 stainless washers and a piece of stainless tubing for a handle. Works great, keeps heat in and let's some steam out. I remove it once it starts to boil.

My keggle, uses the cut out as the lid. Weld 3 stainless washers and a piece of stainless tubing for a handle. Works great, keeps heat in and let's some steam out. I remove it once it starts to boil.

Good idea...I might actually drill through the spout and run me a metal handle through.

Nice cut job there ya keg thief! LOL.... Just busting ya chops..... I have seen a BOATLOAD of horrible cut jobs man. That is a nice job.

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back