Curse you Mother Nature!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
Decided to brew up a dry stout last night around 9 p.m. Since I got a new mill I've been working on nailing down my process so I get a consistent brewhouse efficiency. Everything went well until somewhere around 30' to go in the boil. Since I was making a stout and it only had a 60' addition I only checked on the boil once (it was outside) and it was doing just fine. Sometime after I checked on it it began raining and I was aware of it until I walked by and the patio door and saw the wet deck. I quickly went out and put the lid over the pot, leaving about 1/3 uncovered.
Here it is 1 a.m. and I'm chilling the beer & checking gravity to discover that what should have ended up as a 1.040 beer has actually from from a pre-boil gravity of 1.021 to 1.029 (after 90 minutes). I checked it three times before I realized what had happened. Enough rain had gotten in that it had basically counteracted by boil-off. As any good homebrewer would do I pitched the yeast and we'll see what comes of it. Who knows it might be my best one yet. I think I just made, albeit accidentally, tafelbier.

Just consider it randomizing your brew :D

- More water
- (Probably) more salts, resulting in an emphasis on the small amount of hops you used

Back