Currants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
Yes Black Currants where can you get them, recipe I got is for fruit. I've seen the juice
Thanks

bellsbrat said:
Yes Black Currants where can you get them, recipe I got is for fruit. I've seen the juice
Thanks

You can also buy black currant fruit wine base from LHBS or via online HBS. One 96oz can makes a nice 3-gallon batch. Vintner's Harvest is the brand, I think.

And you can get quality concentrate from this store in Dundee, MI: http://www.homewinery.com/cgi-bin/concen.cgi ... Call them directly if you want a smaller amount of concentrate to make one gallon batches because they do not sell those online, just by phone. I counted 53 different concentrates. I believe you pay approx $7 for most concentrates for the 1-gallon batch. Their concentrates come in a variety from apricot to zinfandel and are quite nice, shipping super reasonable.

...Sara

Yeah i found the www.currantc.com but shipping really killed, that the recipe i got calls for 8lbs of currants, how would this translate into juice or concentrate. Also would like to use fruit just for the fact it is usually cheaper
Thanks

was going to use Curt Stocks recipe, but don't know how to translate lb's of fruit to Vintners Currant liquid concentrate/fruit wine base(http://www.amazon.com/Black-Currant-Vintners-Harvest)
Don't want to leave to much unfermented sugar as i dont want this mead any sweeter and the alcohol is already high and pushing yeast to its limit
Any Ideas on how to translate and will the end product be similar to using fruit?

Black Currant Cherry Melomel

22 lbs Wildflower Honey
8 lbs Black Currants
12 lbs Tart Cherries
3 gal Water
3 tsp Yeast Energizer/Nutrient Blend (Fermaid-K and DAP)
10 g Lalvin Narbonne Yeast (71B-1122)

Approximate OG: 1.161

Target FG: 1.030 - 1.040

Estimated ABV: 16.1%

Last edited by a moderator:
Back