Curled Hops Leafs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewneely

Reaction score
Looking for any input on my hop situation. This is the second year I have had Cascade and Mt Hood hop vines. The Cascades took off earlier this spring have reach a height of 10 feet so far. However, from about 3 ft high to the top (progressively getting worse), the leaves are leathery and turned (curled) upwards. I thought that maybe they were wilted due to lack of water, but we have had a lot of rain this spring. There is no evidence of any aphids or spider mites, nor mildew. Kind of stumped. Looking for any suggestions or HELP!
3616-dsc05357-800x600.jpg
3615-dsc05356-800x600.jpg
3613-dsc05354-800x600.jpg
3614-dsc05355-800x600.jpg

Check lower down on the bine. It might have broke partially and starving the leaves above. If it is broke or damaged I would cut it under the damaged area and it should come back.

slomo - I have not used and fertilizer this year other than what it got from fertilizing the lawn.

only thing i find on rolling leaves(well not the only thing lol) is a zinc defficiency. Not sure if thats what u got going on but what i read from the homebrewers garden. They sa add Azomite or wood ash to soil and boost plants with a spray of liquid seaweed. Just what i read hopefully one of the more experienced people can either confirm or prove me wrong.

What was the strength of the lawn fertilizer? These plants are pretty hardy buggers, but if the lawn fertilizer is really strong you could be hurting your plants. Conversely if the lawn fertilizer didnt really get to the hops you may want to try a low strength fertilizer, and see if that turns things around.

I have two thoughts. I've had that sort of cupping during an extremely wet june (7 inches in one week) - it was isolated to one plant. I've also seen pictures of certain herbicide damage which looked a lot like that. If there was herbicide applied at the time of fertilizing, that may have caused the problem but it's highly unlikely the fertilizer alone created the situation.

could be 3 thinks come to mind
Herbicide damage, particularly from 2,4-D
fungus
virus?

may also be magnesium sulfate definciency ? possible to try some epsom salt....or maybe cal-mag

Dude! I see that nice lawn - you didn,t by any chance apply a fertilizer with weed control anywhere near your hops did you? That injury looks like dicamba or 2,4,D herbicide injury. Be aware that lawn herbicides can volitilize into vapors on hot moist days and damage sensitive landscape plants ie. hops, redbud, etc.

I am screwed. Must have been the overspray from the "weed and feed" Hopefully it will run its course and something can be salvaged.:mad:

You maybe didn't overspray- weedkillers like trimec, 2,4-D, dicamba will volitilize (that is turn into a vapor) in hot, humid conditions. I've seen cases where plants show damage that were 50 ft. away. Time your lawn apps so they are not follwed be these conditions for 2-3 days after the app. There are very few things besides herbicides that cause upward cupping of leaves- the good news is the damage is done and is mainly visual. You should still get a decent crop.

Latest posts

Back