Curious if "high" FG readings are OK or not..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Im a new brewer and am on my 7th or 8 batch. Ive read in a few different places that your FG should typically be 20%-25% of the OG. Since reading this, Ive checked my notes and have found that other than 2 of my first 5 batches, the remaining 3 finished right around 40%-45% of the OG. Despite very little, if any at all, changes in gravity after 7-10 days of primary, I decided to bottle after 14-16 days. Should I wait longer even if I dont see any changes in readings from day 10 to day 16? Or, is 2 weeks not enough time for a simple extract brew?

It seems like you are having attenuation problems. If you could you give us OGs and FGs for your brews and some info about what kind and how much yeast you are using, as well as fermentation temps, we could help you out. We need more info.

Each yeast has an average attenuation either on the package or on the manufacturer's Web site. For the most part, you should expect a 75% attenuation, which would make the FG about 25% of the OG number. If you are getting 60-65% attenuation, you are most likely just not fermenting long enough.

A 2-3 week primary should be sufficient. What temp are you pitching at? Should be around 70-80 degrees.

Also, if you are using liquid yeast, you may need to make a starter, and for dry yeast, you may need to rehydrate prior to pitching.

Each yeast has an average attenuation either on the package or on the manufacturer's Web site. For the most part, you should expect a 75% attenuation, which would make the FG about 25% of the OG number. If you are getting 60-65% attenuation, you are most likely just not fermenting long enough.

A 2-3 week primary should be sufficient. What temp are you pitching at? Should be around 70-80 degrees.

Also, if you are using liquid yeast, you may need to make a starter, and for dry yeast, you may need to rehydrate prior to pitching.

Is making a starter/rehydrating just so fermentation completes faster? If I didn't do these things, would the FG get low enough eventually, or will it just get stuck at a higher value?

Just off the top of my head, your beer list is all pretty much styles that would need a lot longer than 14-16 days then bottle. More like 4-6+ weeks IMO.

Just off the top of my head, your beer list is all pretty much styles that would need a lot longer than 14-16 days then bottle. More like 4-6+ weeks IMO.

This.

Strong ales, belgian stouts, tripels. All "complex" beers in my book, and would get 2-3 weeks primary plus 2-6 weeks secondary.

My Whiskely ale (based on my dark ale recipe) took 8 weeks in the bottles after some 3 weeks in primary to condition well. Then two weeks in the fridge to get a thick creamy head,as well as good carbonation. So def give'em more time in primary & bottle conditioning. It really is needed.:mug:

Wow! Maybe thats my problem then, more patience!! Thus far, Ive pretty much done a 2 week primary, then bottled, then drank after 3-4 weeks. I do know theyll get better in the bottle with time, but I just couldnt wait after my first batch.
With that said, I have an Octoberfest in primary and already has gone from 1.076 to 1.020 in 11 days. I planned on bottling after 14 days. Should I let it stay in primary longer? If after the 3rd week I see no change in SG, should i go ahead and bottle?

Sounds like you brewed an Oktoberfest style ale. I would let that sit 4 weeks in the primary. Then you can either cold crash in the primary or transfer to secondary and clear it up in there.

Making it clear is personal preference. Bit when I think Oktoberfest, I think crystal clear beer.

Even after FG has stabilized the year are still cleaning up. 3 weeks has done the job for me. If the FG isn't where you want it, ramp up the temp a few degrees.

Yesssss.

Every beer I brew with only incredibly rare exceptions: absolute minimum 3 weeks in the fermenter (I don't secondary "normal beers" unless adding dry hops or other secondary ingredients).

"Big beers", >1.065 or 1.070 I plan on a 3-4 week primary then a 3-4 week secondary in a glass secondary.

This is all assuming optimal fermentation temps. Temp control is a big deal and varies depending on the recipe!

This stuff takes time!

I hate starting a new thread for every question I have, so Ill ask this here. My pallete is not too good at identifying subtle flavors and off flavors. I had a buddy try 3 different samples and he commented on 2 of the 3 that they had a fairly strong alcohol taste to them when he swallowed quickly. he said if he let the beer set in his mouth for a few moments, then swallowed, that it wasnt as noticeable. The 2 he noticed this in were a Hefe 4.5% and a Belgium Tripel 8%. Do you think the flavor is just a result of a young beer?

What was your fermentation temp on these beers? Too high of temps (above 74) during primary can produce that heavy alcohol heat - as well as all sorts of other off flavors - that your friend said he tasted. Some time in the bottle may mellow that a bit. Probably depends on style. Others here with more experience will provide a better, more technical, answer, I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back