Crystal Hops, what to do with them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
I have a few ounces of Crystal hops and Im looking for ideas on where to use em. I mostly brew IPA and APA. Thought I might try them as a sub for tettnang in a blonde ale.

Any ideas?

CHeers,
Mike

I use a pretty fair amount of Crystal. I started to use it first because I couldn't get any Liberty in an Amber ale. It is easy to use with a lot of styles but I tend to enjoy it more in pales or at least in brews no darker than amber. I have seen it used in pilsners but have never used it in any lager. You might check out use as a substitute for Liberty, Mt Hood and Hallertau.

I subbed for Reno_envy's punkin ale which called for hallertau which is just what I had laying around. lookin forward to it.

Interested in this as well, I think Rogue makes a Bitter which is only Crystal, could be mistaken.

You could send them to me... :)

Actually, I just brewed a Bam Biere clone from CYBI (don't know if you're into that type of thing) that uses Crystal exclusively.

Oh and Stone's Levitation has a crystal addition.

That's right, on brew365 he's got a recipe for Rogue Brutal Bitter using only crystal

Boulder Beer's Hazed & Infused IPA uses crystal and centennial for aroma and dryhop and it's excellent. They are a very floral hop!
Ninkasi Brewing uses summmit, amarillo, & crystal hops in their Total Domination IPA. Pairs well with many varieties.

Back