Crushing Midnight Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGHops

Reaction score
I am going to make an all grain black IPA using midnight wheat. I didn't think about it when I ordered it, but the kernels are much smaller than 2 row barley is.

Should I bother to adjust my grain mill to crush it? Since I am only using 6oz, can I just put it in a bag and use a rolling pin? Do I even need to crush it?

If you have a coffee grinder, especially a burr model, you can pulverize the really dark grains to extract the most color. I have done this with roasted barley and it’s a good technique.

But yes, definitely do something to crush them or it will not produce the effect you want.

Wheat is quite hard, so a rolling pin is going to be inefficient for crushing. I use a standard cheap coffee blender to make "dust" out of midnight wheat to get the maximum color contribution with the smallest amount added. I add the wheat dust to the mash.

Back