Crushing Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianbraxton

Reaction score
I thought about crushing my own grains from now on (in order to get maximum flavor and quality from the grains), and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on how to do this? Could I use a coffee burr grinder to do something like this? I have something called a Capresso Burr Grinder and would have no problem just using that if it's suitable. If not, is there another device someone likes?

My old Corona style mill works great:
3289195321_d51d8af849.jpg

There are numerous other mills, lots of info in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Lots of people use roller mills as well to crush instead of grind, just do a search on grain mills, you'll get plenty of info.

You should really look at getting a cheap grain mill from a homebrew shop. The goal of a good grain mill is to crack the insides of the grain and leave the husk of the grain intact and not torn or shredded (too much). This allows the husks to act as a filter for the mash.

I personally use a monster mill, but there are tons of great options on homebrew supply websites.

Latest posts

Back