Crushed Grain Spill on Kitchen Floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think of brewing practices in days past… one of the reasons that beer was such an integral part of some cultures was that it was safer to drink than the water at the time. The boil, low pH and alcohol content will take care of any nasties floating around.

Haha, my lips are sealed. I've cleaned similar stains for same reasons. Those sticky poppets! Any time I pull the beer disconnect off, I FIRST pull the pressure release just for this reason. Otherwise, you're the dutch boy in the Hans Brinker story.
Now I don't feel so bad. Two weeks ago prior to heading out of town for an extended visit, I disconnected two kegs in my Man Cave kegerator to avoid any accidental discharges while we were gone. Just before walking out the door, I headed downstairs to retrieve something, only to find a puddle emanating from under the kegerator.

At first I thought the refrigeration had failed and the kegerator had defrosted overnight. I should be so lucky. The 'beer out' poppet on one of kegs hadn't fully closed when the QD got removed. The result was 3/4 of an award-winning IPA being sacrificed to the Beer Gods, and a two hour delay on our departure to clean up the mess.

At least it didn't soak the ceiling.

Who amongst us has not?

About two hours ago, I had my keg washer running in the bathtub and I happened to be walking by the bathroom with a load of laundry and noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. It was my keg falling off the washer and an impressive geyser of iodophor taking its place. I was lucky that I was passing by when that happened. An iodophor geyser left to its own devices in a bathroom could've gotten very expensive, very quickly.

As for the OP, I've swept plenty of grain off the floor. It's good for you, it'll grow hair on your chest.

About two hours ago, I had my keg washer running in the bathtub and I happened to be walking by the bathroom with a load of laundry and noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. It was my keg falling off the washer and an impressive geyser of iodophor taking its place. I was lucky that I was passing by when that happened. An iodophor geyser left to its own devices in a bathroom could've gotten very expensive, very quickly.

As for the OP, I've swept plenty of grain off the floor. It's good for you, it'll grow hair on your chest.

And, just sayin', "Iodophor Geyser" would not necessarily be a horrible name for a rock band.

Update: I went ahead and brewed this beer yesterday. I had a buddy come over and help out during the brew day. Everything went great and smelled very good. I hit my OG right on the nose at 1.050. The brew is currently bubbling away quite nicely.

One thing to note after the mash tun was drained my buddy looked in and said there are a couple things in there that don't look like grain. I just told him well I guess they miss a couple things here and there during processing lol. I didn't tell him about the incident!

The wort came out really nice though.

I'm posting this for documentation. The beer is great! I've posted the pic in another beer thread but figured I'd post here to wrap this up lol.

PXL_20211203_230421332.jpg

Going to brew this again after my bitter the beer was great, so the question is do I spill the crushed grains on the floor again, or do I chance missing that little extra something in my brew?
:mischievous::bigmug:

maybe play around with percentage spilled malt, to non spilled malt? 🤔

hell if it was good, try tossing some hops on floor too!

Back