Crushed Grain Spill on Kitchen Floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hout17

Crush it REAL Good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just won idiot of the month. I finished crushing my grains outside brought them in and then proceeded to knock the bucket over and they all spilled out on to the kitchen floor and partially on a mat. I've gotten almost all of it up.

My question is would you brew with it? I also have a house dog too.

I'll probably brew with it but I wanted some opinions.

Also feel free to laugh, point fingers, talk trash I deserve it.

Last edited:
I’d call it “Hair of the Dog”… nobody has to know why. ;)

51CaiIL9KlL._SY580_.jpg

you probably put worse things in your mouth haha. C'mon man. Just brew it and enjoy the end result (hopefully). haha Most mistakes that happens in the hot phase are not too big of a deal. You may get a different flavor that you will never be able to replicate, but as far as the health of this brew I can't see anything wrong.

Last edited:
I was gonna say...the irony is there's likely way more dirt, bugs/bug fragments and bug frass in a bag of base malt than most humans would allow to collect on their kitchen floors...

Cheers! ;)

did you wash the dust pan and broom you used, presumably, to get it back in the bucket? and maybe cleaning and santizing grain mills will be the next LoDo type thing? seriously,? i've never thought about off flavors from oxidized malt dust on my mill before.....i wonder what the taste threshhold is?

did you wash the dust pan and broom you used, presumably, to get it back in the bucket? and maybe cleaning and santizing grain mills will be the next LoDo type thing? seriously,? i've never thought about off flavors from oxidized malt dust on my mill before.....i wonder what the taste threshhold is?

I didn't use a dust pan or broom I used a 1 cup scoop then my clean hand as the broom. Then swept and vacuumed the area.

I rinse off my grain mill after every crush and hand dry.

I weighed my grain after the incident and I was only 2 ounces short so just threw a couple extra ounces in of 2 row .

With all the stuff I vacuumed up it looked like a lot more was left on the ground than there actually was after I got it swept and vacuumed. The wife won't even know anything happened.

:bigmug:

Ha, I do good to remember to wipe it off and blow away the dust. (mill outside in front if my shop). That usually keeps the mouse away...

@hout17 wrote "I rinse off my grain mill after every crush and hand dry." Not me: never seemed worth it. I guess every batch includes a wee bit of flour from my previous crush.

Unlike folks in more humid climes, I have an embarrassingly low-pest garage/brewery - just a minor ant incursion some years, and some daddy long legs by the car door. Neither my non-airtight base malt bin nor the dusty residue in my mill have suffered noticeable attacks by animals or fungi.

Should I worry?

@hout17 wrote "I rinse off my grain mill after every crush and hand dry." Not me: never seemed worth it. I guess every batch includes a wee bit of flour from my previous crush.

Unlike folks in more humid climes, I have an embarrassingly low-pest garage/brewery - just a minor ant incursion some years, and some daddy long legs by the car door. Neither my non-airtight base malt bin nor the dusty residue in my mill have suffered noticeable attacks by animals or fungi.

Should I worry?

That's just how I do it. If you don't have any issues, I don't see any reason for you to change your process.

Yeah, I had mentioned in one of the posts above that's it's been about 2 weeks.
Oops, missed that.
So, that's a "yikes!" for me, personally, regarding using it but a "not a problem" for the vast majority.
It's my restaurant upbringing, I suppose.

As brewing accidents go, this one is quite mild. There are threads here devoted to recounting more dramatic incidents that cost dollars, beer, and/or hours of cleanup; perhaps priceless facial expressions, but doubtless much vigorous cursing.

Brew on!

Indeed. I just mopped my ceiling in my home office yesterday. And the walls, the floor, and everything else.

I just won idiot of the month. I finished crushing my grains outside brought them in and then proceeded to knock the bucket over and they all spilled out on to the kitchen floor and partially on a mat. I've gotten almost all of it up.

My question is would you brew with it? I also have a house dog too.

I'll probably brew with it but I wanted some opinions.

Also feel free to laugh, point fingers, talk trash I deserve it.
I did the same thing years ago. I used the grain and called the beer Garage Floor IPA....it was delicious!

Okay, I'll bite... what happened?

Transferring carbonated beer under pressure (only 2 psi, but beer was carbonated to 2.5 volumes), using out-to-out, and a poppet didn’t work properly. It was an awesome beer fountain.

I have small hands, and apparently my thumb is the exact size to seal said fountain. However, then you can’t move. And if you don’t want your spouse to know that you just covered his office area with beer, you don’t dare yell for help.

But no use crying over spilled beer I guess. Most of the beer was saved. As was my marriage.
Please, please, please- don’t tell him, ‘k?

Transferring carbonated beer under pressure (only 2 psi, but beer was carbonated to 2.5 volumes), using out-to-out, and a poppet didn’t work properly. It was an awesome beer fountain.

I have small hands, and apparently my thumb is the exact size to seal said fountain. However, then you can’t move. And if you don’t want your spouse to know that you just covered his office area with beer, you don’t dare yell for help.

But no use crying over spilled beer I guess. Most of the beer was saved. As was my marriage.
Please, please, please- don’t tell him, ‘k?

Haha, my lips are sealed. I've cleaned similar stains for same reasons. Those sticky poppets! Any time I pull the beer disconnect off, I FIRST pull the pressure release just for this reason. Otherwise, you're the dutch boy in the Hans Brinker story.

Back