Crush with Corona Style Mill (first)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if I could get some opinions on the first run crushing of the new mill (Corona style for $25!)
I haven't done any mods to it yet, but have never crushed my own, so I was hoping for some feedback or pointers.

Thanks!

20160219_132130[1].jpg

Looks ok to me...kind of hard to tell from a picture.

IMO the acid test is if there are any whole uncrushed grains present?

I would tighten it a bit if it were mine.

I have a corona mill and use a feeler gauge and set it to .032 IN. Seems to work great that way ... 80% efficiency but I do use rice hulls. That looks really good, but like Wilserbrewer stated ... and whole grains then set it a little tighter.

Spread it out on a plate and search for uncrushed grain. If you find any, tighten it down a bit more. Repeat as necessary. When you find none, tighten the ever-living-crap out of the wingnut on the adjustment screw, and never worry about it again.

Edit: a guarantee in life: wilserbrewer will post in EVERY thread about a corona mill. He believes in them that much. That said, so do I. ;)

When you find none, tighten the ever-living-crap out of the wingnut on the adjustment screw, and never worry about it again.

Edit: a guarantee in life: wilserbrewer will post in EVERY thread about a corona mill. He believes in them that much. That said, so do I. ;)

I will add here, tightening the ever living crap out of the wing nut would likely involve a pair of pliers, finger tight just won't do IMHO. Just don't get crazy and break anything, the chinese wing nuts are absolute crap. I think I spent a dollar and bought decent wingnits at Ace hardware.

That's funny....every thread. I have been very pleased with my corona mill. I look at the crush and can't imagine what a different more expensive mill could possibly do for me??? 6-8 years ago I was among a minority using a corona mill, the black sheeps of the board of sorts, and the "correct" and trendy mill to have was the barley crusher. The barley crusher roller mill folks would poop all over the lowly cheap corona mill. Now today, lots of barley crusher owners are frowning and corona users smiling....funny how history plays out sometimes...happy brewin.

You may want to think about the mods for a Corona mill. They certainly helped me get mine to a place where it requires no adjustments at all for the last year and a half.

Regardless of that though, your pic does look like you can make it a bit tighter for a better crush.

When you tighten up your mill you may find that it likes to shred the husks a bit much for a conventional mash tun. If that is the case, spritz the grain with a bit of water and stir them around for a few minutes. That will make the husks tougher so they don't shred as easily. It doesn't take much water to do that so don't get carried away.

If you plan do do your batch BIAB the shredded husks don't matter.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I spread the grains out and there were no un-crushed grains, so I think I'll mark the spacing and see what a little tighter may do.

Definitely will be doing the mods and getting something figured out to control the dust and hulls from flying everywhere. I am definitely happy with this decision (mainly due-to- the-fact, instead of getting a roller mill, I was able to upgrade my mash tun and get a mill).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I spread the grains out and there were no un-crushed grains, so I think I'll mark the spacing and see what a little tighter may do.

Definitely will be doing the mods and getting something figured out to control the dust and hulls from flying everywhere. I am definitely happy with this decision (mainly due-to- the-fact, instead of getting a roller mill, I was able to upgrade my mash tun and get a mill).

i slip a gallon Zipock bag over the end of the mill until it is over the plates that do the grinding and hold it there with a couple clothespins. Each bag will hold a hopper full and will contain the husks and dust. When I'm ready to dump the grains into the water I can one hand the bag while stirring with the other.

There is an entire thread on modification to the Corona style mill here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=90849

Definitely will be doing the mods and getting something figured out to control the dust and hulls from flying everywhere.

You seriously need the bucket-in-a-bucket setup. See the above mentioned thread for it. Start from the last page and work your way back, you'll see some.

Latest posts

Back