Crush Grains before steeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigErn78

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First Batch happening tomorrow. It is going to be a Scotch Ale. Picked up the recipe at the local brew shop but I have a question about the specialty grains in the recipe. I have read that the grains need to be crushed/cracked before being steeped. What is the easiest/best way to do this? I don't have much equipment but I am open to any and all suggestions. Also I listed the recipe below.

Grains in the recipe.
1/2 pound Crystal.
1/2 pound Cara-Pils
1/2 pound Cara-amber
1/2 pound flaked oats
1/2 pound torrified wheat.

Rest of recipe
8 lbs light dried malt extract
1/2 pound Honey.
1 oz fuggle hops
1/4 tsp Irish moss
2 tsp gypsum
Edinburgh Scottish ale yeast

Thanks For the Help!
Big Ern

I order mine crushed. The only other practical way is to buy a grain mill. Not sure about any other ways though...

Dan

Thanks for the response.

I am a little confused (noob) on how the grain should look once in comes out of the mill. Is it more like a coarse powder or just split up grains?

The stuff I have is the whole grain. Do any recipes use the whole grain for steeping?

Big Ern

Thanks for the tips and the picture of a good crush. Really helpful.

I will give the rolling pin trick a try for now.

:mug:

I crushed two pounds for my Marzen and holy crap, never again. Well, especially since I went all grain and now own a mill, but also because I'd never put myself through that much work. I resorted to crushing in a doubled zip lock between two pieces of 2x4 and smashing with a hammer. They don't just pop, the husks are pretty tough.

Always order/buy it crushed. If you have if whole now, go to where you bought it and get it milled.

Back