cruise liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
So SWMBO, I, and a group of friends are flying to Miami on Saturday to hop on a Royal Carribean cruise ship. After much debate, we've decided to take the risk of smuggling some liquor in our luggage. After much research we've determined that the worst that could happen would be to have our liquor confiscated and possibly dumped. But that's not what this thread is about:

I have these things called rum-runners. They are food safe collapsible liquid containers. I like them because they will not show up on an x-ray scan like glass would. Anyways, I have two 32oz containers and two 8oz containers. I don't want to have to bring any mixing stuff as there will be adequate mixers on the ship. I'm thinking of filling the two bigger ones with tequila and vodka as these go well with any of the juices (orange, lemonade, etc). I was also thinking of putting some of the 20 year old scotch my dad gave me many years ago and I've been sipping on lately, into one of the 8 ouncers.

So on to the question of the day. Does my selection of liquors sound good? does anyone have alternate suggestions? What should I put in the second 8 oz container. All help is appreciated, but any nasty comments about the smuggling itself will be summarily dismissed... so don't bother.

Get a big bottle of mouth wash. Empty out mouth wash and clean the bottle , leave the labels on...

Fill with Vodka or a clear rum and then add food coloring to color it ..

Your assumptions about the worst case scenario are just that.
I won't go on a cruise simply because I have no idea about legal standing on a ship registered in Panama, crewed by Costa Rican Nationals in International Waters.

Carry on.

I wouldn't risk that 20 year old scotch. From what I hear, those things do not always work. I don't know what sort of scanners they have at the cruise terminal, but many "x-ray machines" can detect liquids.

TL

shafferpilot said:
All help is appreciated, but any nasty comments about the smuggling itself will be summarily dismissed... so don't bother.

No offense, guys, but i thought I was pretty clear

The simplest thing to do would be to buy clear liquor vodka gin etc and put it in water bottles and carry them on with you. I would be suspect of anyone putting a giant bottle of any kind in their carryon. Also there is the issue with the airplane screeners on your way to the cruise... they won't let you bring big bottles in your carryon on the plane. This may require some manuvering, but I don't think the cruise line will particularly care

There wasn't anything nasty about what anyone said.
BTW if this is your question:

Does my selection of liquors sound good? does anyone have alternate suggestions?

Why all the discussion about subterfuge?

And pointing out that it is subterfuge is not a nasty comment.

If there are womenfolk going with you, consider bringing along some peach scnapps. Us wimmen likes us some peachy drinks! :D

olllllo said:
There wasn't anything nasty about what anyone said.
BTW if this is your question:

Why all the discussion about subterfuge?

And pointing out that it is subterfuge is not a nasty comment.

I was trying to avoid a long discussion about the "how" and the whole "you shouldn't do that" thing, as I have already figured those parts out. "nasty" was a poor choice of words and I apologize. My point in this thread relates ONLY to the selection of liquors. Thanks for prompting me to clarify

TexLaw said:
I wouldn't risk that 20 year old scotch. From what I hear, those things do not always work. I don't know what sort of scanners they have at the cruise terminal, but many "x-ray machines" can detect liquids.

TL

that's exactly why I was only going to take some of it in one of the smaller containers. It's just so damn tasty at the end of a night of debauchery.

shafferpilot said:
that's exactly why I was only going to take some of it in one of the smaller containers. It's just so damn tasty at the end of a night of debauchery.

I'd buy Listerine, dump that out and clean it well, and put the good stuff in there. When I went on a cruise, I took some bottled water and soda with me (the kids would have ordered it on the ship and cost me a fortune) and one water bottle of vodka. It was no problem at all in the suitcase.

Totally off topic, sorry, but this is one reason I just hate cruises. You can go all inclusive just about anywhere for the same price and it includes the booze at a slight hit on the food quality.

Why don't you just stroll into a duty free shop at one of the ports of call?
IIRC you can bring stuff back on the boat.
Discretion is advised.

Glibbidy said:

Now that is some good thinking, that is.

I was going to say just walk on board with a bottle in each hand, a fatty between the lips and a wild stare in your eyes.

Actually, that's why I was mad at the cruise line. You can buy all the booze you want on the islands (and it's good and cheap!) but they "hold it for your convenience" as you go through Homeland Security each time you board the ship. They actually go through your belongings and remove your bottles, and deliver them to your cabin the last night of the cruise!

Brewpastor said:
Now that is some good thinking, that is.

I was going to say just walk on board with a bottle in each hand, a fatty between the lips and a wild stare in your eyes.

I think a hearty guffaw is in order at this point in the thread. :D

carry on

Brewpastor said:
So what is Homeland worried about? "Orange Alert, somebody is making a Depth Charge on the Ledo deck!"

Take off your shoes please.

Jerk-knee reaction methinks.

Yooper is correct, anything you do buy on the islands they do hold "for your convenience" until the end of the cruise.

I actually took went on a cruise last year with my buddies, it was Carnival not Royal Caribbean, but one of my buddies had three handles in his small suitcase. He had significantly more liquor than clothes. We just handed the suitcases to the guys getting on the boat and 30 minutes or so later when the bags got to our room, the booze was still there.

I say, bring a couple cheap handles and if they get taken, you oh well you are out $30 (which is about the cost of 5 drinks onboard by the way!)

Glibbidy said:
Discretion is advised.

I've done this (and it was on a Royal Caribbean Cruise) Just go to a local shop, you can get a bottle of rum for next to nothing.

If you still want to bring booze from home, don't bother with the rum since it's so cheap down there

No problems with packing liquor in plastic bottles in your luggage. Security won't catch it and your cabin steward will not mind at all either.

I would bring the same thing. Vodka for some mixed drinks and bring some olives. Martini's just go with cruise ships. Tequila for a quick shot before going out partying, and why not a small bottle of the good scotch. Looks good to me.

I wouldn't plan on buying booze on shore though. It is cheaper on the boat and they will take it from you when you reboard until the end of the trip. Definately plan on buying your legal limit on the ship! Customs is cheap if you go over, also.

Thanks for all the replies. I apologize again for the begining of the thread. Getting ready to leave on a trip stresses me out to the _nth degree.

Bobby_M said:
Totally off topic, sorry, but this is one reason I just hate cruises. You can go all inclusive just about anywhere for the same price and it includes the booze at a slight hit on the food quality.

You have no taste apparently. There are few experiences better than a good cruise. How can you beat $500 for a 7 day cruise on a floating city? Not to mention going to exotic places. A "slight" hit on food quality?!?!?! Few things better than all you can eat EVERYTHING that tastes amazing...anyways.

I have been on countless cruises since I am from Ft. Lauderdale. WE always packed a suit case full of beer and liquor no clothes, just towels in case of a spill. No problems for any of the 8 or 9 cruises. You will be fine. Got to fill that last 8oz. with some Wild Turkey! ENJOY!! you will have a blast. Royal Caribbean is by far the best liner of the 4 or so I have been on.:ban: :mug: :rockin: :D

Did I miss something here, my friend...No mention of bringing your own homebrew??? whatzupwidat? :D

You've probably left already, but have a safe/fun trip with that gorgeous swmbo of yours!

Haven't left yet. In the middle of the final packing flurry. SWMBO would shoot me if she knew I was posting right now:D . I'm avoiding glass, so no homebrew:( . i decided to go with Yooper's suggestion to bring something for the ladies, so berry flavored vodka is going in the last 8 oz'er. Thanks for the help.

And don't worry, there will be some great pics when I get back:mug:

loveboat3.jpg

shafferpilot said:
I'm avoiding glass, so no homebrew

Now I bet you wish you had some of those brown pet bottles that come with the mr beer kits...If you had know long enough ago that you were going,you could have bottled a few of your brews in those!

Have fun, my friend!:rockin:

Back