Crud in beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello y'all,
I brewed an extract IPA couple nights ago. For various reasons, I ended up with a large amount of break material from the kettle in the carboy. It is bubbling happily right now, but my concern is getting the beer clear before bottling.
I haven't been bothering with racking to secondary for some time now, but thinking I might do so with this one to make sure all the crud settles out.
So to my questions:
1. a. rack to secondary or b. RDWHAH?
2. a. add a fining agent to the primary or b. add a fining agent to the secondary or c. RDWHAH?
There will be dry hopping. Also, I used Whirlflock in the kettle and added added Clarity Ferm to the carboy as per my SOP.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:mug:

RDWHAH. It will all settle out just fine. Just rack to bottling bucket carefully and you will be good to go.
This↑ It'll all settle out just fine. Especially if you move the carboy the night before bottling -- whatever gets kicked up from the move will have time to re-settle.

By the way, have you used Clarity Ferm before? if not, you're gonna like it...really good at preventing chill haze.

I still use whirlfloc in the BK, but that's more for when I'm racking to a secondary and trying to clarify the beer. Having the break material in the primary is not such a bad thing for homebrewers.

Not only does it lead to a more drinkable beer, it gets you more beer too. Most of what you see in the boil kettle trub is wort. Leaving any of it behind gets you less beer.
You know, I've been kinda pissed off about getting 4 gallons instead of 5 most of the time. Dude, I think you just changed my life...

be sure to read the brulosophy articles on kettle trub (xBMT). lots of good stuff there.
My personal take is that i dont avoid it, but i try to not take all the hop sludge at the bottom of the BK. I just dump my kettle through a big funnel into the carboy anyway, so i cant be very selective.

They Did an xBmt on the brulosopy site where they split up 2 worts, one with all the trub and one with none and the "truby" batch was actually the clearer of the 2. The site is cool, they test all kinds of theories and myths.
Beat me to it.

Back