Critique this Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wup

Reaction score
Well, for my third all grain I plan on doing a hefe, still trying to keep it simple so I don't want to do too many infusions. This is what I found and am thinking of brewing:

5 lb-2 Row
5 lb - Wheat Malt
.5 lb- CaraPils

1 oz-Hallertauer, 60 Minutes
.5 oz-Hallertauer, 10 Minutes

132 F - 20 Minutes
154 F - 60 Minutes

Pitch Hefe Yeast

So does this sound reasonable for a simple Hefe, I really have no real idea of what to go on as I have never had a wheat beer before.

Thanks,

Wup

P.S. The Wheat Malt has to be milled also, correct?:drunk:

Looks good. straight forward and to the point.

yeah, the wheat malt needs milled as well.

Sounds like a winner to me... I think I'd try a bit more wheat and less 2 row, but most of a hefe is the yeast and fermentation temp. Warmer for banana and cooler for clove. Good luck with it.

Very simple.

Might not need the Carapils, wheat will add a lot of head rentention etc.

Also, if you are looking to save money you could cut back on the hops. 3/4oz bittering and 1/4 aroma would work too (or all at 60 min, none later).

:mug:

IT'S HORRIBLE....just kidding. Nice and simple like it should be. You might not gain much from the Cara, and the wheat could be upped like mentioned above...but then again, it's your recipe! :D

Beerrific said:
Very simple.

Might not need the Carapils, wheat will add a lot of head rentention etc.

Also, if you are looking to save money you could cut back on the hops. 3/4oz bittering and 1/4 aroma would work too (or all at 60 min, none later).

:mug:

Personally, I would drop the 10 min hop addition. A half ounce is a fair bit, and potentially enough to mask some of the yeast flavour which provides the character of this beer.

I might also not bother with the carapils. I am not sure how that extra mouthfeel would play with the high carbonation level. But you aren't adding much, so perhaps it isn't a concern.

You could always bump the 154° to 156° and basically do the same thing as the carapils.

Simple is good in hefes, and this recipe looks nice. Take a gander at Baron's basic hefeweizen recipe in the database; I just brewed that, and it's real nice.

FlyGuy said:
I am not sure how that extra mouthfeel would play with the high carbonation level.

Oh this makes me think of something...if you bottle it might behoove you to get a hold of some 16 oz. HEAVY returneables for your Hefe's. They can handle the pressure safely and plus a 16 oz is soooo nice for a Hefe :D

i would add a late hop addition to counter some of the sweetness and to add some dimension, but just a little so you don't interfere with the yeast flavor. especially if you're gonna be doing your sac rest on the higher end. this is what i did for my latest hefe and it tastes great!!!

Just brewed this, cut the last hop addition down to 1/4 ounce as that was all I had, also screwed up and only held at 154 F for 40 minutes, still hit my target gravity w/ 70% efficiency.

Will post results in a couple weeks.

Wup

Back