Critique my summery west coast IPA [Extract]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardhedberg

Reaction score
I'm a few batches and a metric ****ton reading in to brewing, and I'm curious what you guys think about my recipe I'm planning on brewing. I want it to be a really citrusy, fruity and summery IPA. I've been considering adding some sugar to dry it up? Bad idea? I should also mention the reason I'm using citra for bittering and not something cheaper is because my LBS only carries larger packs and my hop additions add up to one of each.

Also I'm using metrics but converted it for you yankees. So that's why the amounts is kinda odd.

So, whats your opinion on this recipe?

DME's
4.40 lb Light Dry Extract
2.20 lb Light Dry Extract [Boil for 18 min]
1.10 lb Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 18 min]

Steeping 40 min
1.10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1.10 lb Wheat Malt, Belgium

Hop additions
0.35 oz Citra 60.0 min
0.70 oz Citra Boil 20.0 min
1 oz El Dorado 20.0 min
0.70 oz Citra 15.0 min
1.40 oz El Dorado 0.0 min
0.70 oz Citra 0.0 min
1 oz Citra 7.0 Days in primary after about 14 days
1 oz El Dorado 7.0 Days in primary after about 14 days

Yeast
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter]

Additions
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.0 %
Bitterness: 58.1 IBUs
Est Color: 17.5 EBC

Cheers!

Hey Richard,
This looks like a pretty good hopping schedule for what you are going for. Thanks for changing the units over for us non metric using folks... I wish we would just switch and save everyone a headache but I dont see that happening anytime soon. Only changes I would suggest is dropping your wheat malt to 224 grams(i'm trying metric here sorry if it sounds wierd 8oz) and possibly the same for the caramel. This should allow the hops to shine through even more. The Wheat malt was just for head retention correct?

As far as the sugar to dry it out, I personally would not. But if your questioning it you could always split the batch or even say a gallon or so and add the sugar.

Your other numbers look great and should give you what you are looking for. I am not as good as many of the other brewers on here but I hope this helps. And if anything maybe it will get you a bump up to have someone else critique it too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Imp

Overall I think the recipe looks very good. I do agree with OneImpBrewery, bring down the caramel malt. This would be a lot even if you weren't trying to make this west coast style, but since you are, I'd say no more than 8 oz. (Also, kudos to you for going with C40 instead of 60. I think 40 is much better in an IPA).

In my opinion, you can feel free to add some dextrose sugar to dry it out. Again, the typical west coast IPA is very dry. Adding a few gravity points with simple sugars will help in this department.

What is the batch size, by the way?

I like the suggestions to drop the crystal at least in half and I agree it would be fine to add a little sugar to dry it out, especially given you can't use mash temp to manipulate the fermentability. Although speaking of that, you would want to do a mini mash with the wheat malt, otherwise it's just going to give you starch haze I expect. Hops look good, should be fruity and citrusy.
:mug:

Thanks y'all for replying I really appreciate it. I've done some tweaking in the recipe, I'm gonna drop the steeping wheat and just stick to the wheat DME for head retention. Cut down a bit on the C40 but possibly add a couple of Oz's CaraPils.
Also found a water profile for Amsterdam, so I'm gonna add some gypsym to get the more crisp from the hops!
Again thanks a lot!

Back