Critique My First Decoction Plan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecallsmeblue

Reaction score
So I plan to brew a hefeweizen this weekend, and want to try my hand at decoction mashing. Recipe is using 50/50 pils and wheat malt, for a total of 9lbs in a 5 gallon recipe. After much research, I think I've got an idea what to do. How's this look?

Add 13qts (includes a quart for dead space) and stabilize at 122 for 30 minutes. (protein rest)

Decoct thick mash +/- 9 qts, about a third of the grains.

Stir like crazy and slowly heat up to boil. Boil for 30 minutes.

Add most to remaining mash to stabilize at 150. Cool remaining decoction to 150, if necessary, and add with the mash.

Mash for 60 minutes, then pull about 6 qts thin mash, boil for 30 minutes, add back to mash for mashout.

I'm considering only going for the single decoction as well, as this is my first time, but want to make sure that what I THINK is the right way to do it, actually is. Any other tips would be appreciated!

If I do a decoction, it's a single decoction. I'll pull about one-third of the mash liquid and grain after about 15 minutes. After hitting a boil, the decoction goes back to the mash and the temp stays around 152F until mashout.
If you're using well-modified Continental pilsner grain (I usually use Dingeman's) and malted wheat, there's no special reason to decoct, really - unless you feel like doing extra work. Low mashing temps will yield a drier ale and high DP (diastatic power) grains will convert quickly. If you plan to use unmalted wheat, then by all means, do the decoction.

I do a single decoction for mash-out only. Works awesome. I had done multi-step before but just adds more time and I didn't see any benefit.

I simply mash in at my infusion temp 150-152 typically for 45-60mins... Then take out a thick decoction of about 2-gallons or so and boil separately in another kettle for about 15-20mins to gain the color/melanodins which can clearly see by the end of the boil.

Add that back in, mix, then collect my runnings and batch sparge as usual.

Color, malt flavor, clarity and a very impressive head retention is the result. I am making incredible German Pils following this technique, I am sticking with it!

Back