Critique my Cream Ale plus a few ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreidy12

Reaction score
Here's what i'm thinking:

Batch size: 5 gallons

4.5 lbs 6-row pale malt
4 lbs 2-row pale malt
1 lbFlaked corn
.5 lb Flaked rice
1/4 oz. Sorachi Ace hops (60 minutes)
1 oz. Saaz (3 minutes)

OG: 1.055
SRM: 3.3
IBU's: 17

Single infusion mash at 153 for 60 minutes. Batch sparge till 6 gallons are obtained. Boil for 60 minutes. Cool to 70 and pitch white labs american ale yeast. Primary for 5 weeks (I'll be out of town).

While I'm away I'm considering having a friend add some gelatin with 2 weeks left. I've never tried it but want to get a clear beer this time. I also want to try a cold crash but am not too sure on how. Do you just drop the temp to 30's for a couple days? Also, is a diacetyl rest a good idea? And if so, isn't it just raising the temp back up to room temp after the cold crash? Thanks for the advice!

If you primary for five weeks and use Whirlfloc, you're likely to have a very clear beer with no butter.

You may want to consider a lower mash temp. You want this beer to finish dry. You may also consider replacing the six row with pilsner malt and cutting back on the grain. If you add some table sugar to replace the grain gravity points you take out that should get you in the 1.009-1.010 range. I'd lose the late hops too. If your brewing to style then the aroma and flavor of the hops should be almost nil. That's just my opinion though.
What how much yeast you using? I'd shoot for 66 pitch and ferment

I like a blend of 6-row and 2-row. I'd add more corn (20%,) loose the rice and mash 150 for 90 min. Ferment cold, 60F for four days then let it warm to 70 or so over the next three days. By then the yeast will be done and you can cold crash at 30F for a week. Believe me, it will be clean, crisp, and clear.

If you want it to style you may want to half your Saaz addition. One key to the style is to get the corn in the aroma. Some hop is alright but that much will probably dominate what should be a balancing act.

Back