Critique my AltBier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
Getting set to brew an all grain Alt. PLEASE feel free to offer any comments or suggestions. Going for 5.5 Gallons in the carboy. :rockin:

Grain Bill:
9.50 lb. American 2-row
.5 lb American Vienna
.5 lb British crystal 70-80L

Mashing for 60 min. 154-152°F

0.75 oz. Hallertauer (5.2% AA, 60 min.)
0.25 oz. Hallertauer (5.2% AA, 30 min.)
0.25 oz. Hallertauer (5.2% AA, 15 min.)
0.50 oz. Hallertauer (aroma)

Yeast
WLP029 with a starter

Well, my first thoughts are just that you might refer to it as alt-inspired ;) You have a predominantly american grist, with a kiss of british malts! Also, traditionally dusseldorf altbier does not have much/any aroma or flavor hopping.

Not to say that your recipe will not make a tasty brew however.

Additionally, there are quite a few discussions/threads on here about altbier. Read Kai's conversations, and I also recommend picking up Horst Dornbusch's book too on the style.

:mug:

Sounds like an American Amber to me.

I would look at other Alt recipes in the database to see what others are doing and then tweak from there. That or start out with someone else's recipes and brew it, and see what you think needs to be changed from there.

Also, if you have Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles, I believe there's a good discussion on what is truly proper for an Alt.

I am not much for style myself, but if style is what you are going for, you need to tweak it.

I say roll with it and see what you like or don't like about it.

IT WILL BE BEER.amen.

yeah it's not really an alt. but it could be tasty. here's a thread i had earlier about alt. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/altbier-help-149961/ I tweaked the recipes i found, but don't have access to it right now. the beer is lagering away right now but has a good bitterness and a lot of rich german malt flavor.

I'd consider getting a german pils for the base, and using some munich to add maltiness plus caramunich and carafa for added color and malty flavor. Spalter is also one of the most used hops in the style, but hallertauer will be good too.

Thanks for all the tips. You can tell i am new to this so I really didn't know the difference. I pulled the recipe off of the internet and I don't think I will be making this one. The Kaiser recipe looks really tasty, I think I will go with that, with all proper respect and credit to the creator of the recipe.

Pah. Whether or not it's Altbier is decided in the glass, not in the grist. I brewed an award-winning Alt with the following grist:

83% Pale malt
10% Dark Munich malt
6% 60L Crystal
1% Black Patent

All American (Briess) ingredients.

Alt -like any other style - is about flavors. Nail the flavors and it doesn't matter where your ingredients come from.

Get a copy of Dornbusch's Altbier. In fact, any brewer wanting to nail specific styles should get the style book; I've got a shelf dedicated to them.

Cheers,

Bob

Back