Crispness and Snap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Defining Crispness?

Is crispness mostly related to the amount of carbonation? I can think of a soda, which is crisp and tingly from a freshly opened can, vs. sweet and cloying after it sat out for a few hours.

Does it also have to do with dryness? Which I think is most related to a low FG. Or will dryness only lead to less lingering mouthfeel and body?

I have also found that my hoppier ales also have additional crispness. Possibly it could be a balance of hops and malt flavor?

I searched the forum on this topic and found that some people believe that it also can be enhanced by lagering or cold conditioning.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

NorthBayBrewer

Good question. I've found that dry hopping really enhances the crispness of my ales (pale ales, IPA, etc). There is a dramatic difference in crispness before and after dry hopping.

I think of it as a quick clean finish,and lagers do come to mind.I think of dry also and good but not over carbonation.Maybe even a fresh citrus tartness.I think cetain hops can give this effect if they have a citrusy bittering.American wheat beers come to mind as well as alot of pale ales. Your water profile could do this. I think gypsum is suppose to have this effect.

Back