Cricket in my boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK.....I keep my brew kettle in the garage and forgot to rinse it before I started a batch. During the boil I saw something dark floating around and fished out a dead cricket. Since it was about 10 minutes into the boil I am not going to discard the batch. If it were a cockroach I would feel differently.

It's been done...
spm_a3459.jpg

No problem. In fact you don't even need to remove it. It will drop out during cooling. BTW cockroaches are no worse than crickets. I'm a pest control tech. Its all the same protein.

my last two boils i have had bees in my wort. i continued to boil and no issues. i guess it could add some extra protein.

I washed some bottles then ended up not having time to bottle that day so I left the washed bottles in closed cases. Apparently a pincer bug found its way into one of the bottles. I didn't realize it until I was about to drink it a couple weeks later. I drank it anyway. It was a dark ipa... I didn't notice any difference in the flavor. ;)

You know what's worse than a worm in your apple....half a worm in your apple.

I wouldn't worry about it. Could probably name the brew after the cricket.

Latest posts

Back