Cream Stout water profile input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTrOvErT

Reaction score
Thoughts on the following mash water profile for a cream stout?

Ca = 62
Mg = 5
Na = 59
SO4 = 36
Cl = 100

pH Estimate = 5.51

This is based on a combination of profile ideas around these parts. Have I combined these thoughts incoherently based on this profile? I appreciate the help!

Thoughts on the following mash water profile for a cream stout?

Ca = 62
Mg = 5
Na = 59
SO4 = 36
Cl = 100

pH Estimate = 5.51

This is based on a combination of profile ideas around these parts. Have I combined these thoughts incoherently based on this profile?

Also, this represents adjustments made to RO water.

I appreciate the help!

Seems to be a bit more sodium and chloride than I typically use, but it would still work.

Martin... That's what I thought also, as I was actually using Bru'n Water to help me with this. I was, however, reading some posts about people perceiving benefits in their stouts with sodium and chloride levels a little above 100... both!

That seemed crazy to me, but it selfishly helped me balance my additions without using pickling lime to boost calcium and pH. Not that I'm against that, but I just can't get my hands on any before brewday :-/

Seems to be a bit more sodium and chloride than I typically use, but it would still work.

One more question regarding the Sodium level... All the sodium in this profile is from Baking Soda. Since I'm not adding that to the sparge water, this should significantly reduce the sodium in the kettle as it will be diluted by the second runnings.

Is it therefore appropriate to directly consider the final diluted sodium concentration against the recommended concentration in the water profiles? Or do those sodium recommendations still have more to do with effects in the mash?

Thanks again!

Since baking soda is not added to the sparging water, the actual Na content will be lower than shown in the free version of Bru'n Water. The supporter's version does fully account for that dilution.

Back