Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my notes say .25 lbs.

as to what ?

I love this recipe just brew it today only had 2 pound flaked corn so I used that with 3 pounds flaked rice

forgot to bring a sack of 2 row home from work on Friday so I used 8 pounds of 2 row and 5 pounds Vienna

Used Willamette and Domestic Hallertau to get my IBUs

13th brew of this recipe

all the best

S_M

A friend and I are prepping to brew a slightly altered version this in a couple weeks. Here's our grain bill:

90-minute mash
10# 2 Row
2# Caramel Wheat
4# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rice

90-minute boil
1oz Galena @ 60
.5oz Ella @ 5

1# Honey @ 10
1# Honey @ High Krausen

Any thoughts on addition of oats? We're sort of debating it now. We wanna increase the silky smooth mouthfeel, but I'm wondering if anyone has used it and what their experience with it has been in this beer. Cheers!

Brewed this yesterday. Made a couple changes though.

90-minute mash/60-minute boil

10# 2 Row
4# Flaked Maize
.5# Caramel Wheat
.5# Flaked Rice (minute rice)
.5# Oats

2# Honey @ 10

Hops:
.75oz Galaxy @ 60
1oz Ella @ 5

OG: 1.048
Mash Efficiency: 78%

The 10 gal batch was split into two 5 gallon batches. Repitched US-05 slurry from a previous brew.

One batch of this will get 1# honey @ high krausen and peach and apricot added @ 7 days. The other batch will get 1# honey @ high krausen and Korean pears @ 7 days.

I'll follow up if anyone is interested. Cheers!

The corn you roast on a grill, is a different type of Corn than is used for brewing. Having said that it is loaded with fructose. Should work, but I imagine it will be very cloudy for a while. Keep us posted, cool idea.

Umm...no that's false. It's the same corb, the thing is you can't use it because of the oils present in corn on the cob in it's current state.

I am fermenting my third batch of beer now and I have a really hard time of following recipes, but I was thinking I would give this one a shot. I was grilling salmon and corn on the cob for dinner on Friday and the corn turned out perfect. I was thinking I could roast a ton of cobs on the grill for a little carmelization and smoke to add some extra body. Are there any tricks to mashing roasted corn? I figured it might involve some actual mashing or a blender or something.

Don't do it, use corn meal or maize flakes. On your typical corn on the cobs there are oils present in the kernels. Those oils will ruin your beer.

Don't do it, use corn meal or maize flakes. On your typical corn on the cobs there are oils present in the kernels. Those oils will ruin your beer.

So does the act of "flaking" corn somehow process the oils or do they use a different enzyme for that? I've wondered how oil in adjuncts is generally dealt with.
I took a quick look for some sort of instant corn but only found corn flour on my first pass. LHBS charges the same for various malts as they do for the flaked corn or rice hulls even. I know it would only add a few bucks, but I do enjoy being cheap.

So does the act of "flaking" corn somehow process the oils or do they use a different enzyme for that? I've wondered how oil in adjuncts is generally dealt with.
I took a quick look for some sort of instant corn but only found corn flour on my first pass. LHBS charges the same for various malts as they do for the flaked corn or rice hulls even. I know it would only add a few bucks, but I do enjoy being cheap.

I honestly used to know enough several years ago about that topic. I do know corn meal/grits/polenta is fine to use. Just watch the sodium content, they sometimes like to add salt in them.

Brewed this on Sunday and have had it into dads beer fridge didn't get it down to his basement today so fermentation still has yet to start, tomorrow it's going to the basement, 7 days from tomorrow it's going back the beer fridge to cold crash for 5 days going into the keg for a 24 hr force carb on the 29th and hopefully serving crystal clear beer on July 3rd at his party

as to what ?

I love this recipe just brew it today only had 2 pound flaked corn so I used that with 3 pounds flaked rice

forgot to bring a sack of 2 row home from work on Friday so I used 8 pounds of 2 row and 5 pounds Vienna

Used Willamette and Domestic Hallertau to get my IBUs

13th brew of this recipe

all the best

S_M

.25# of flaked oats

Well the beer has been out of the cooler for 24hrs now and the yeast are apparently lolly gagging as fermentation hasn't started yet, I wonder if the fermenters need to be shaken

Well fermentation kicked off on its own and today I had to take some supplies to do blowoff tubes over to my dads as one of them blew the bung and airlock right out

Made my first batch of this beer today. My second cream ale ever, the first was one of my first all grain batches and had an olive flavor. Let's hope this one comes out a little better. I brewed it for a camping trip in late July. I subbed cascade for bittering and added a a half gram at 10 minutes for a little hop flavor. 5 gallon batch.

IMG_20150618_164939.jpg

IMG_20150618_164652.jpg

Hopefully I will be brewing this recipe today. First all grain for me and probably doing a no sparge as well as I have an 11 gallon kettle I can use and it seems simpler. I did a relative clone of this with extracts and a mini mash of the minute rice because my homebrew shop didn't have any rice syrup solids. We will see how they compare.

This is my 5th batch of this and it's going crazy, it now has blown the bung and airlock out of the BB and today it blew out the bung and blowoff tube

This is my 5th batch of this and it's going crazy, it now has blown the bung and airlock out of the BB and today it blew out the bung and blowoff tube

Whoa! That's some vigorous fermentation! Should come out delicious.

Have to get some two row and flaked corn tomorrow for my 4th batch. All have been amazing!

So I tried to make my second all grain with this batch, and got done and pulled out my h hydrometer and it broke, so no readings. Also walked to get my chiller put away and saw my hops sitting on the table.

So how can I get the hops in? I a 5 gal batch in a 7 gallon fermentor if it helps.

I had guests over so it had already been pitched for 5 hours when I realized and it was too late to reboil. I do have the ingredients for another 5 gallons that I was planning on making next time I had the time, but my kettle can only do 5gal batches since I biab.

Are you going to let it ferment? It may be interesting to see what an unhopped beer tastes like

Made my first batch of this beer today. My second cream ale ever, the first was one of my first all grain batches and had an olive flavor. Let's hope this one comes out a little better. I brewed it for a camping trip in late July. I subbed cascade for bittering and added a a half gram at 10 minutes for a little hop flavor. 5 gallon batch.

Half a gram? Is that like 1 pellet? Seriously you'll never taste that in 5 gallons of beer.

yes, you dont want a big oat flavor in a cream ale... just like you dont want vanilla, or peaches... well peaches might be good. but then it is a fruit ale... .25lbs of oats replacing dextrine malt for body and head, that is all you need. but i dont use it any more, now I just put in a couple of ounces of dextrine malt.

Did this recipe with .5 oz Centennial at 30 for the hop schedule (15 ibu) instead of the listed hops. Pitched onto a cake of Wyeast 2565 from a previous brew. Absolutely terrific beer. Nice grainy taste, easy going bitterness. I could drink this all day. Perfect for summertime and does exactly what you want it to: refreshes! Really nothing bad to say, other than I wish I'd brewed more. Thanks for the recipe Biermuncher! Cheers!

just kegged 10.5 gallons of this brewed 06-14-2015 very clear after a 3 day cold crash

I Had 3/4 of a gallon too much to keg so I am drinking it flat

very good even flat

all the best

S_M

3 day cold crash after kegging or still in the fermenters?

Mine is going to cold crash Friday and into the keg Sunday or Monday for a 24 hr force carb, needs to be clear beer by July 3rd

Umm...no that's false. It's the same corb, the thing is you can't use it because of the oils present in corn on the cob in it's current state.

It's not, actually. The sort of corn you eat as a fresh vegetable (in whatever form) is generally sweet corn. This is a high-sugar variant of dent corn, which is the sort usually used to make any starchy processed corn product (corn flakes, corn meal, etc.). Dent corn is a softer form of flint corn, which usually you only see ornamentally (Indian corn), as popcorn, or processed through nixtamalization.

They're all different cultivars of the Zea mays (corn; maize) species.

It's not, actually. The sort of corn you eat as a fresh vegetable (in whatever form) is generally sweet corn. This is a high-sugar variant of dent corn, which is the sort usually used to make any starchy processed corn product (corn flakes, corn meal, etc.). Dent corn is a softer form of flint corn, which usually you only see ornamentally (Indian corn), as popcorn, or processed through nixtamalization.

They're all different cultivars of the Zea mays (corn; maize) species.

Cornell?

I made this some time back and tried it for the first time last weekend. Mine came out tasting like a mixture of Miller Lite and Heineken. Slight skunky taste. I'm not sure how this happened since my ferm chamber allows no light. Straight to the keg to carb.

Is this the normal flavor you guys are getting? It's not bad, but not what I was expecting. I made the recipe per the original recipe. I help my temps throughout the brewday. Mash water was 1.25 gal per # and sparge was to get to boil volume. I didn't check pH, but the refractometer was reading pretty low at the end of the sparge. Could this have caused a high pH and this off flavor?

I made this some time back and tried it for the first time last weekend. Mine came out tasting like a mixture of Miller Lite and Heineken. Slight skunky taste.

I've made several 5 gal. batches of this recipe and all turned out really well except for the last one. Previous batches were so well received that I found myself brewing a batch every 3-4 weeks in order to avoid running out. The slight "skunkiness" you are describing is close to what I got out of this last batch. Since all previous batches were great I know it can't be the recipe. My thinking is that the water I'm using now may have changed slightly in either chemistry or taste since my earlier brews.

I just bought a couple ounces of whole leaf Cascade hops and will try to dry-hop in the keg to see if I can save this batch. For the next batch I'll use straight RO water with some minor additions or buy spring water.

Moved my 10 gallon batch of this to cold crash tonight goes to the keg on Sunday night for a 24 hour force carb

Hope this hasnt been asked, in the few pages I haven't read. Can you use instant brown rice? Will it do anything different?

I've made several 5 gal. batches of this recipe and all turned out really well except for the last one. Previous batches were so well received that I found myself brewing a batch every 3-4 weeks in order to avoid running out. The slight "skunkiness" you are describing is close to what I got out of this last batch. Since all previous batches were great I know it can't be the recipe. My thinking is that the water I'm using now may have changed slightly in either chemistry or taste since my earlier brews.

I just bought a couple ounces of whole leaf Cascade hops and will try to dry-hop in the keg to see if I can save this batch. For the next batch I'll use straight RO water with some minor additions or buy spring water.

It's not bad enough for me to add hops. It's just a slight taste. Most people have liked the beer. It's not a bad thing to compare it to Heineken. The flavor is crisp and clean, no after or lingering flavors. Just that slight skunk taste. One of my friends said it tasted like a version Stella but with a not as strong flavor profile. I'll take, especially since this was my first AG batch.

Houston we have a problem I managed to brew 11 gallons of water and I'm not exaggerating it looks like water and tastes like water. Not sure where I went wrong I mean I did a partial boil and topped off with a lot of water but I've done this before without a problem and my fermentation was very vigorous.
I'm going to post my whole process in the beginners forum and see if someone can tell where it all went bad, it's not good because the party is Friday so obviously we're not drinking co3c

Houston we have a problem I managed to brew 11 gallons of water and I'm not exaggerating it looks like water and tastes like water. Not sure where I went wrong I mean I did a partial boil and topped off with a lot of water but I've done this before without a problem and my fermentation was very vigorous.
I'm going to post my whole process in the beginners forum and see if someone can tell where it all went bad, it's not good because the party is Friday so obviously we're not drinking co3c

Did it look like water when you put it in the fermenter?

It's not bad enough for me to add hops. It's just a slight taste. Most people have liked the beer. It's not a bad thing to compare it to Heineken. The flavor is crisp and clean, no after or lingering flavors. Just that slight skunk taste. One of my friends said it tasted like a version Stella but with a not as strong flavor profile. I'll take, especially since this was my first AG batch.

If it turned out close and its your first AG I'd say it was a success! :) Try it again when you have room in the keg or bottles available.

I like to make this beer because everyone likes it (even a few beer snob buddies), it finishes fast and is very refreshing as a summer beer. I think it is a bit sensitive to initial fermentation temps. Get it down to around 65-68F before pitching the yeast and then hold it there. It should turn out great.

Cheers!
:mug:

Back