Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bumper crop of raspberries this year, so I secondaried my 5 gallons on somewhere between 3-4lbs of my berries. I froze the berries for 48 hours to kill off any wild yeast, then racked on top for 3 days after am 8 day primary.

The glass is sweating because it's humid as all get out right now. It's actually a very clear beer. I think I shall call this one Warrior's Blood.

This is one I'm probably most proud of at this point. It's got a big raspberry nose, solid tart berry flavor, and a crisp dry finish.

I did the following Grain Bill:
4lb 2 row
4lb 6 row
1lb flaked maize
14oz box of Minute Rice
1 cup of table sugar in the mash
Yeast:
Good ole US-05.
Hops:
1 oz cascade whole leaf, locally grown
1 oz of German Hallertauer whole leaf.
Priming Sugar:
Local Honey to 2.3vols
Estimated 4.9% ABV

So I entered this in the local HB competition and here's the sheet:
http://lvhb.org/mm_2015/scoresheets/0404.pdf
Lots of too dry comments. But I think it's a good start... looking for improvements.

Thinking I'm gonna run an 11 gal batch of this but have seen a few things crop up (pun intended) in the 40 or so pages I read.

1) a lot of people seem to think it's too corny? So I'm thinking I'll go 3lbs flaked maize and 2 lbs flaked rice. First time using corn and rice. Since its flaked maize and flaked rice do I grind it with my malt, just add it into the mash unground, or put it on top of the mash?

I don't find it too corny but neither can I see where reducing the corn a bit would hurt anything. Just bump up the 2Row to get your OG right and you should be good to go. The one thing I would keep in mind is that this is, after all, a cream ale. Perhaps those who found it too corny really don't want a cream ale in the first place. :)

2) I see a lot of people mentioning rice hulls and stuck sparges. I have never had a stuck sparge but I do have rice hulls- should I use them and if so how much?

Only had one stuck sparge and it wasn't with this recipe. But rice hulls don't hurt so if you have them use them. You might try making a test batch of 5 gal. first to see if you have any problems and to see if you like the beer.

If it were earlier in the summer I'd have no qualms about making a 10 or 15 gal. batch if I had the open kegs. I know it would get consumed.

Cheers!
:mug:

Right on thanks for the input guys.... I like doing ten gallon batches because it gives plenty of time for the beer to condition and age. My four taps are full right now and I'll be needing an easy drinking bmc ish type beer. I did just do 10 gallons of the centennial blonde as well

Certainly not the biggest of flavors but I'm kinda digging this beer after a hard day outside working on Mama's garden shed...

Cream Ale.jpg

This will be my next brew in the next week or two. My 4th batch in all. Each batch has gone quickly! I've been considering adding some Jalepeno flavor/heat to this batch.

Pretty much just brewed this beer again but added a pound of VInna malt. Interested to see how it comes out.

I love cream ales and finally got around to making this over the weekend. Followed the original recipe except I sub'ed in Sterling for Crystal (as that's what I had). The Sterling was added at 5 min instead for more flavor (as that's how I do my cream ales).

Made 11.5 gal, got 88% efficiency, ending at 1.050. Pitched US05 and happily fermenting at 65. Looking forward to it!

Ive made 2 Cream Ale's and thus is def my favourite out of the two but can anybody tell me this.
Both the 2 batches had a sweet taste to it,i dont know if its from Mashing to high?,and Fermenting too high as well will bring that sweetness in?.
My mashes are never bang on and i do have to always fire up for a min or two due to heat loss.
As for fermentation my basememt is around 68-70,Used US05 both times..
and my temp fridge had a lager in so i couldnt stick it in their to be controlled.
Any takers??
Thanks

What was your mash temp? What was your FG? I've brewed this several times with us-05 and I have no temp control. I shoot for a 90 minute mash at 148 and sometimes I don't do the 90 minute boil it's just as good with a 60 min boil.

brewed this one 09 -03-2015 as it is and went to brew it on 09-05-2015

but found out I was short on the base malt I had 8 1/2 pounds of 2-row

so I went with 8 1/2 pounds 2-row 1 1/2 pound c-40 and 2 pounds of dark munich

we will see how it comes out

I have brewed this recipe 15 times

all the best

S_M

Brewing 5 gallons of this on Saturday with my brother, he's a BMC drinker so I'm hoping this will be a nice transition.

Slightly worried about the corn taste that others have experienced, unsure if I should dial back the corn and use the sugar instead?

Do you think grain to glass in 4 weeks is achievable?

What was your mash temp? What was your FG? I've brewed this several times with us-05 and I have no temp control. I shoot for a 90 minute mash at 148 and sometimes I don't do the 90 minute boil it's just as good with a 60 min boil.

Well I start my mash at 154 and fired up when it got down to 151 after 30mins got back up to 153 and let it go for the last 30mins.
The FG i think was 1008-1010,i wish i could describe the sweet taste that i get from it..maybe its due to unstable mash temp??

I could be wrong but I believe the mash temp of 148 is designed to dry the beer out, therefore I think your higher mash temp could be an issue

I do 5.5 gal of a similar recipe.

6 lbs 2-row
1 lb corn
1 lb rice
.25 lb sugar
1 oz Willamette @ 60

This last one ended at 1.004 down from 1.043 in 10 days. Nice and crisp, slightest hint of corn... this one is going to be good.

I'm trying to keep this brew cheap, I plan on using the hops I already have in stock

Which combination of hops should I use? or should I just use a single hop?

Currently I have :

Citra, Cascade, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, and some Czech Saaz (these are in a bag, but it is unsealed and has been exposed to oxygen for about 7 months, really reluctant to use them in anything and should probably toss them)

Any help is much appreciated :mug:

I'm trying to keep this brew cheap, I plan on using the hops I already have in stock

Which combination of hops should I use? or should I just use a single hop?

Currently I have :

Citra, Cascade, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh, and some Czech Saaz (these are in a bag, but it is unsealed and has been exposed to oxygen for about 7 months, really reluctant to use them in anything and should probably toss them)

I use Citra in my versions. Most of it with less than 20 min left. I usually aim for about 20-25 ibus.

I think Czech would be nice as well, but use it at 60.

Currently I have :

I always squeeze as much air out of the bags of leftovers as possible then wrap with a rubber band or tape the bag shut, then back in the fridge in a zip lock. I have used hops that were open for 6+ months with no issues. You can usually tell by smelling them. If they are still full of aroma they are probably still ok.

I just did this as a Lager using 1/2 oz of Cascade at 60 and 1/2 oz of Citra at 20 that should be ready in about 2-3 weeks.

Cheers lads,

Had a whiff of the Saaz, think I'll go with the Citra. Toughest decision is, stick to the original recipe or drop some of the corn and substitute with table sugar...really torn!

Cheers lads,

Had a whiff of the Saaz, think I'll go with the Citra. Toughest decision is, stick to the original recipe or drop some of the corn and substitute with table sugar...really torn!

I now use 1/2 lb rice and 1lb of corn and up the base malt to adjust. I shoot for 4.7 ABV with this one. Comes out great and my BMC drinking buddies love it.

I know this is considered lawnmower beer but it's perfect for football season. I keep it at all times..my question...

Lhbs has huell melon, jarrylo and azacca hops in stock. I'm not familiar with any of these..any thoughts on any of these varieties for this brew?

Quick question: I want to do a 5.5 gallon batch. I have made this before and like it. Looking at the ingredients I have I only have 4.75lbs 2 row and I have just over a lb of pilsner and I have the corn and rice I need. I know these are both base malts and have different flavors. Anyone ever mixed the two? Will it work OK? Just seems like the flavor may be off to me. Any thoughts?

Quick question: I want to do a 5.5 gallon batch. I have made this before and like it. Looking at the ingredients I have I only have 4.75lbs 2 row and I have just over a lb of pilsner and I have the corn and rice I need. I know these are both base malts and have different flavors. Anyone ever mixed the two? Will it work OK? Just seems like the flavor may be off to me. Any thoughts?

I've not used Pilsner malt but it will definitely darken the brew a bit. I'm sure the taste will change in some fashion as well just from the change in malt. I can't imagine a ton of difference with that small of amount tho. I know..didn't really answer the question at all.

Go for it! Let us know how it comes out. This recipe is perfect for experimenting, adding grains and changing the hops. You might find a great combo.

Anyone have any suggestions for entering the flaked corn and rice into Brun' water? I am trying to determine what type of impact these adjuncts will have on my pH.

Brewed this yesterday!

Said fudge it and went with the original recipe, used willamette and fuggles. 90% efficiency on the Grainfather, 90min mash and 90min boil, OG was 1.045, now for the hard part....waiting!

Also, sparging this on the Grainfather was a nightmare...rice husks from now on :)

Brewed this yesterday!

Said fudge it and went with the original recipe, used willamette and fuggles. 90% efficiency on the Grainfather, 90min mash and 90min boil, OG was 1.045, now for the hard part....waiting!

Also, sparging this on the Grainfather was a nightmare...rice husks from now on :)

What hop schedule you use with the Willamette/ fuggles combo?

1oz of each at the 60min mark, I didn't stray too far from the original

Fermenting away nicely now

QJlheQUr

1oz of each at the 60min mark, I didn't stray too far from the original

Fermenting away nicely now

QJlheQUr

What was your IBU/SG ratio with adding 2 ounces? Seems that will be too bitter for a cream ale. I was thinking of doing 1oz Williamete @60 then 0.25oz at flame out

What was your IBU/SG ratio with adding 2 ounces? Seems that will be too bitter for a cream ale. I was thinking of doing 1oz Williamete @60 then 0.25oz at flame out

Yeah my Estimated IBU was about 29, just a little more bite to it

Latest posts

Back