Cream Ale Recipe (from A Noob)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I am looking to make a simple, cream ale for the summer. I was trying to put together a recipe rather than just buy a kit from a LHBS.

I am trying to make something that has a subtle hop to satisfy a hop head, but not overpowering (SWMBO is not a hop head)!

After reading a bunch of cream ale recipes, I took alot of the common elements (row, corn, DME & LME), however the hop has me lost. I took what appeared to be the most common hop additions and they are listed below.

Any advice or critique on either the fermentables or hops or the recipe itself.?
Or would you use a completely different variations and additions of hops?

I usually do a partial mash/extract kit, boiling 2.5 to 3 gallons and topping up in the bucket to 5 gallons.
the current fermentables should give me atleast 5%abv

1 lb. American 6-row
1 lb. Flaked corn
Steep: 45 mins

Boil: 60 minutes
2 lb. Light dry malt extract
3.3 DME Light

Yeast: US-05 dry yeast.

Hops:
1 oz. Liberty (4% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Liberty (4% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Liberty ( 5min aroma)

Or

1 oz Cascade hop pellets (5.5 AAU 60 min)
.5 oz Cascade pellets (2.8 AAU 15 Min)
.5 oz Citra pellets (5 min)

or

1 oz Cascade hop pellets (5.5 AAU 60 min)
.5 oz Cascade pellets (2.8 AAU 15 Min)
.5 oz Cascade pellets (5 min)

Or

.5 oz Galena hop pellets (6.5 AAU 60min).
.5 oz Cluster pellets (4 AAU 15 min)
.5 oz Saaz pellets (5 mins)

Any thoughts?

Here's my recipe very similar.
10lbs 2row (Canadian 2 row)
1lbs flaked corn
1.25 mt hood hop 60 min
Us -05 yeast.
Very simple and one of my most liked brews (by friends and family)

Taste preference is different for all. Your options 2/3/4 do have more bitterness (IBUs) than is typical for a cream ale style, but you may like the additional hops. Option 1 with Liberty should have a lighter bitterness and would be more in line with typical cream ale styles. Hope that helps a bit, but you make the call, experimentation and discovery is all part of this great hobby!

Here's my recipe very similar.
10lbs 2row (Canadian 2 row)
1lbs flaked corn
1.25 mt hood hop 60 min
Us -05 yeast.
Very simple and one of my most liked brews (by friends and family)

Sounds good, I just dont have the capacity to boil 10lbs!

Sounds good, I just dont have the capacity to boil 10lbs!

That's an all grain recipe he/she posted. Still a 5 gallon recipe. Convert the 2-row to extract and you'll have the same thing more or less. I don't know the conversion off the top of my head, but a search will make it easy.

BTW, you wouldn't "boil" 10 lbs of grain anyways. You'd mash it.

Kind of the same way you will steep your 1lb 6-row and flaked corn. It's a similar process with more attention to temperature and mash thickness (i.e. grain to water ratio).

That's an all grain recipe he/she posted. Still a 5 gallon recipe. Convert the 2-row to extract and you'll have the same thing more or less. I don't know the conversion off the top of my head, but a search will make it easy.

BTW, you wouldn't "boil" 10 lbs of grain anyways. You'd mash it.

Kind of the same way you will steep your 1lb 6-row and flaked corn. It's a similar process with more attention to temperature and mash thickness (i.e. grain to water ratio).

Thanks for information, I found the links below on conversion:

For example, assume the recipe being converted is calculated for 75% efficiency and has 10 lb 2-row malt. If using liquid malt extract (LME) you would substitute 0.73 lb LME for every pound of 2-row, which means you’d need 7.3 lb LME (10 lb x 0.73 = 7.3 lb LME). If using dry malt extract (DME) you would substitute 0.6 lb DME for every pound of 2-row, which means you’d need 6.0 lb DME (10 lb x 0.60 = 6.0 lb DME).

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/3-simple-steps-converting-grain-recipes-extract/

http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Since I can just substitute LME or DME for 2 row, why use it?
I know that the benefit of Flaked Corn, but why use grain if I am using 5-6 lbs of extract.
Does 1 lb of grain make a difference?

You'll need the 2-row to convert the flaked corn.

You mentioned wanting a bit of a hoppy flavor as you're a hop head, yet not too much that your wife wouldn't dislike it. You may want to reduce the bittering addition a bit and add more to the flavor and aroma additions. It might not be very "authentic" but it might be enough for the both of you to enjoy as I doubt you'd get much flavor/aroma from the hop schedules you posted.

Maybe something along the lines of 0.3 oz at 60, 0.4 oz at 15-20, and 0.3 oz at 5 mins or even 0.2 oz at 60, 0.4 oz at 15-20, and 0.4 oz at 5 mins. It's supposed to fall within 15-20 IBU's for the style. The hop depends on the flavor profile you care for...

You'll need the 2-row to convert the flaked corn.

You mentioned wanting a bit of a hoppy flavor as you're a hop head, yet not too much that your wife wouldn't dislike it. You may want to reduce the bittering addition a bit and add more to the flavor and aroma additions. It might not be very "authentic" but it might be enough for the both of you to enjoy as I doubt you'd get much flavor/aroma from the hop schedules you posted.

Maybe something along the lines of 0.3 oz at 60, 0.4 oz at 15-20, and 0.3 oz at 5 mins or even 0.2 oz at 60, 0.4 oz at 15-20, and 0.4 oz at 5 mins. It's supposed to fall within 15-20 IBU's for the style. The hop depends on the flavor profile you care for...

I am basically trying to put together an ale that I can drink by the pool on the hot summer days. The problem is I am a hop head, along with maybe 1 friend. Everyone else I know likes "beer", but not IPA's. SWMBO's most drank beer is Corona.
So I am trying to make something inbetween an IPA and skunked-swill.

I grew up drinking Genny Cream ale, and continue to drink Browns to this day. I always though a good cream ale is a ale that appeals to lager drinkers by pretending to be a lager, when it is really an ale!

I figured that using liberty to keep it close to the style, but adding a bit of citra might give it a slight pop!

but unfortunately I am not versed in the characteristics of all the hops, IE: Saaz, Liberty, ect....

I have primarily used cascade and citra.

IMO Cascade and Citra will not complement a cream ale well - too citrusy. Noble/noble-derived hops are usually recommended for cream ales so Liberty and Mt. Hood should be good choices.

As it happens, I just brewed a partial mash cream ale a couple of days ago:
2.5 lb. American 6-row
1 lb. Flaked corn
.25 lb. Biscuit
3.0 lb. LME
US-05 dry yeast

Hops:
.5 oz. Perle (7.9% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Perle (15min.)

This is a new recipe and something of an experiment using Perle. It is fermenting now so it will be a little while to see if this is a hit or miss.

IMO Cascade and Citra will not complement a cream ale well - too citrusy. Noble/noble-derived hops are usually recommended for cream ales so Liberty and Mt. Hood should be good choices.

As it happens, I just brewed a partial mash cream ale a couple of days ago:
2.5 lb. American 6-row
1 lb. Flaked corn
.25 lb. Biscuit
3.0 lb. LME
US-05 dry yeast

Hops:
.5 oz. Perle (7.9% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Perle (15min.)

This is a new recipe and something of an experiment using Perle. It is fermenting now so it will be a little while to see if this is a hit or miss.

Even cream of 3 crops has a hop of :
1.00 oz Willamette [5.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

So maybe I will stick with the liberty.
I have a low abv cream ale extract finishing right now, I am going to bench trial and hop a bit of it with Citra. this way I can taste the normal version (cascade & halluratua hops) and the Citra Dry hopped version.

So maybe I will stick with the liberty.
I dont know, So many options!

I use 1lb of Oats and 1lb of Flaked corn in mine. I love the body/mouth feel that the oats gives and the corn is a must in a cream ale i feel.

I would also recommend using WLP080 Cream Ale Blend as a yeast. Its a great yeast designed for this strain. I have used US-05, WLP010, and tried doing the Anderson Valley route with a hybrid lager yeast, and have had the best results with WLP080.

Let me know how it comes out!

I, too, feel a cream ale ought to use a hop something along the lines of Liberty, Willamette, Mt Hood, or Santiam.

You could also make a blonde that's a bit more and using a more citrusy type hop like Cascade.

SWMBO didn't care for IPA's either (one of my favorites) and so I make my pale ales on the 40-45 IBU side with minimal bittering hops and loads of late addition hops to give it a low class IPA taste (would fit on the low end except they tend to be under 5.5% ABV). She now doesn't mind IPA's and will even order them at times. And she was a Boulevard Wheat drinker as her favorite.

So your cream ale can be for those who prefer typical lagers, the blonde to work them into ales more, and then from there move them into hoppy pale ales to possibly get them into IPA's.

Will you be lagering your cream ale?

I, too, feel a cream ale ought to use a hop something along the lines of Liberty, Willamette, Mt Hood, or Santiam.

You could also make a blonde that's a bit more and using a more citrusy type hop like Cascade.

SWMBO didn't care for IPA's either (one of my favorites) and so I make my pale ales on the 40-45 IBU side with minimal bittering hops and loads of late addition hops to give it a low class IPA taste (would fit on the low end except they tend to be under 5.5% ABV). She now doesn't mind IPA's and will even order them at times. And she was a Boulevard Wheat drinker as her favorite.

So your cream ale can be for those who prefer typical lagers, the blonde to work them into ales more, and then from there move them into hoppy pale ales to possibly get them into IPA's.

Will you be lagering your cream ale?

I most likely will not be lagering my cream ale.

As far as SWMBO and IBU's she tried my pale at 44 IBU and it was too bitter. She is almost a lost cause for being a hop head.

"As far as SWMBO and IBU's she tried my pale at 44 IBU and it was too bitter."

What did the hop schedule look like?

I made an IPA without a true bittering addition (30, 20, 10, and 5 mins) and it seemed strange as it lacked even a bit of true bitterness though it was figured to be about 100 IBU's. I've since used a small 70 min addition so as not to have that lacking.

"As far as SWMBO and IBU's she tried my pale at 44 IBU and it was too bitter."

What did the hop schedule look like?

I made an IPA without a true bittering addition (30, 20, 10, and 5 mins) and it seemed strange as it lacked even a bit of true bitterness though it was figured to be about 100 IBU's. I've since used a small 70 min addition so as not to have that lacking.

¾ oz Chinook pellets (9.8 AAU) bittering hop for full hour.
3/4 oz Centennial pellets (7.5 AAU) bitter/flavoring hop last 25 min of boil.
1 oz Centennial pellets (10 AAU) flavoring hop for last 15 min of boil.
1 oz Cascade pellets aroma hop for last 15 min of boil

the recipe indicates it is 44 IBU
BrewToad has indicated it is 77.

It is by no means 77, if anything it is a mellow beer with a slight bitter after taste

Here's a hop utilization chart that I use:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_diuBBvYgqF0/TTBwxZAigkI/AAAAAAAAB40/7427XCtkr_o/s1600/hop_utilization.jpg

Someone has mentioned they didn't necessarily believe that every hop fits exactly, that not every one will have it's peak flavor at ~21 mins, but I don't have anything better to work with.

I use Brewtoad as well and my VERY hoppy IPA's (I shoot for 95-105 IBU's) don't come across as that hoppy and taste more like maybe 60 or so. I'm not sure it calculates the IBU loss from top up water (I add about 1.25 gals for 5.5 gal batches).

Looking at that hop schedule I'd assume it to be a bit bitter as well.

Citrus hops and Cream Ale go together really well. That is against the style guidelines but it makes for a very refreshing summer beer. I like this hop schedule...
0.5 oz Cascade hop pellets 60 min
0.5 oz of centennial pellets 20 Min
1.5 oz of Citra pellets (0 min)

1 pound of 6 row with 1 pound of flaked corn will add a light grainy sweetness. I would probably do a mini-mash rather than a steep to make sure the corn and malt starches convert. 3 quarts of 164f water to hit 150f. I would let it sit covered for at least 30 minutes, 60 minutes is better. Then proceded as normal. Here is a link to my all grain Summer Citra Cerveza...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/summer-citra-cerveza-449595/

Citrus hops and Cream Ale go together really well. That is against the style guidelines but it makes for a very refreshing summer beer. I like this hop schedule...
0.5 oz Cascade hop pellets 60 min
0.5 oz of centennial pellets 20 Min
1.5 oz of Citra pellets (0 min)

What do you mean by "0 min"?
Do I toss it in at flame out?
Does it not go to primary?
is it a dry hop?
I would think that 1.5 oz of Citra would add a very distinct flavor, correct?

My take on 0 min additions is it's at flameout, though there's the question of how long it sits. Do you chill it right away or allow it to sit? Is it any different that a whirlpool addition?

0 minute is put in at flameout. It stays in throughout the chilling process if you use a hop bag. Yes a distinctly hoppy citrus, tropical fruity aroma. Your favorite citrus hops will do. "Hoppy" but not bitter for my refreshing summer beers.

I think I have it narrowed down to what I will make

1 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. Flaked corn
Steep:
Boil: 60 minutes
2 lb. Light dry malt extract
3.3 DME Light
Hops:
1 oz. Liberty (4% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Liberty (4% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Citra ( Flame out aroma)

According to Brewers Friend the above recipe would have a potential for 5.13% ABV.

I considered adding 3# of DME but that would bump it to 5.97% AbV, which I thought would be too hight for a "light, summer, cream ale".
I considered using 2#Dme & 1# flaked Rice, but again the abv could have been 5.73%.

So I am going to settle on 2#dme, 3 LME and 1 & 1 for the grain/corn.
Seriously, how much difference could it make and as currently written how bad could it be?

Thanks for all the help!

"...as currently written how bad could it be?"

I think this might work out rather well for the style. It might be slightly more bitter than what a BJCP judge might say, though I'm not certain about that, and the IBU's may be a little high, but who cares if it's just for you?

I have a recipe made up and it looks like this:

5.5 gal partial mash/partial boil:

4.5 lbs 2-row
3 lbs ultralight LME (FO)
1.5 lbs flaked corn
0.4 oz Willamette (7.7%) @ 70/21 mins
0.2 oz Willamette @ 7 mins
US-05

1.051/1.010
5.2% ABV
17 IBU's
3 SRM

I may swap out the 2-row for 6-row to be more to style and because I haven't tried it before.

Here is what BJCP says:

6A. Cream Ale

Aroma: Faint malt notes. A sweet, corn-like aroma and low levels of DMS are commonly found. Hop aroma low to none. Any variety of hops may be used, but neither hops nor malt dominate. Faint esters may be present in some examples, but are not required. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Pale straw to moderate gold color, although usually on the pale side. Low to medium head with medium to high carbonation. Head retention may be no better than fair due to adjunct use. Brilliant, sparkling clarity.

Flavor: Low to medium-low hop bitterness. Low to moderate maltiness and sweetness, varying with gravity and attenuation. Usually well attenuated. Neither malt nor hops prevail in the taste. A low to moderate corny flavor from corn adjuncts is commonly found, as is some DMS. Finish can vary from somewhat dry to faintly sweet from the corn, malt, and sugar. Faint fruity esters are optional. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Generally light and crisp, although body can reach medium. Smooth mouthfeel with medium to high attenuation; higher attenuation levels can lend a “thirst quenching” finish. High carbonation. Higher gravity examples may exhibit a slight alcohol warmth.

Overall Impression: A clean, well-attenuated, flavorful American lawnmower beer.

Comments: Classic American (i.e., pre-prohibition) Cream Ales were slightly stronger, hoppier (including some dry hopping) and more bitter (25-30+ IBUs). These versions should be entered in the specialty/experimental category. Most commercial examples are in the 1.050–1.053 OG range, and bitterness rarely rises above 20 IBUs.

History: An ale version of the American lager style. Produced by ale brewers to compete with lager brewers in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic States. Originally known as sparkling or present use ales, lager strains were (and sometimes still are) used by some brewers, but were not historically mixed with ale strains. Many examples are kräusened to achieve carbonation. Cold conditioning isn’t traditional, although modern brewers sometimes use it.

Ingredients: American ingredients most commonly used. A grain bill of six-row malt, or a combination of six-row and North American two-row, is common. Adjuncts can include up to 20% flaked maize in the mash, and up to 20% glucose or other sugars in the boil. Soft water preferred. Any variety of hops can be used for bittering and finishing.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.042 – 1.055
IBUs: 15 – 20 FG: 1.006 – 1.012
SRM: 2.5 – 5 ABV: 4.2– 5.6%
Commercial Examples: Genesee Cream Ale, Little Kings Cream Ale (Hudepohl), Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema, Sleeman Cream Ale, New Glarus Spotted Cow, Wisconsin Brewing Whitetail Cream Ale

Spoke to one of my better LHBS.
I gave them my recipe to put together and we worked out a tweek.
Looking for thoughts:
3.3# Pilsen LME,
2# Pilsen DME
1# Flaked Maize (Corn)
1# Pilsner Malt
1 oz Cascade hop pellets (5.5 AAU) bittering hop for full hour.
½ oz Cascade pellets (2.8 AAU) flavor hop for last 15 min of boil.
½ oz Cascade pellets aroma hop for last 5 min of boil.
Fermentis US-05 dry yeast
(he also suggested using a liquid to keep the brew closer to style)

Brewers friend indicated this mix would be 5.4% abv and 26 IBU,
A little more bitter than style, but I could still swap out the last hop for citra.
I guess my biggest issues is still not knowing what hop to go with.

Were it me (though I love citrusy hops) I'd go with something like Liberty, Willamette, Mount Hood, Santiam, or some such. Not that I doubt Cascade would be nice, but just not so much like a pseudo lager.

Will you be using US-05 or a liquid strain? I'd guess that 05 would work well enough, but then I've never tried a strain especially meant to be a cream ale or kolsch type.

i'm thinking you want a good clean, neutral, low cohumolone hop for 60 min. and you want that to come in around 15-20 ibu. something like a nugget or a magnum. to smooth it out even more you might want to move it to 30.

then at 15 you want about 5 or so ibu of cascade.

Do yourself a favor and heed the advice of bigdaddybrew. Do a mini-mash instead of a steep with your pils malt and flaked maize. It's like a steep but you'll be controlling the temp @ around 150 to convert the starch. You don't want cloudy beer!

I see you've already got your recipe pinned down, but FWIW another poster suggest that I use 1oz Glacier at 55 minutes and leave it at that. I took his advice and was pleased. It has been my most popular beer and I will likely make it again soon.

It was also a good experience for me to familiarize myself with a single hop.

I second others suggestion to mash your flaked maize. I don't normally care too much for clarity, but in a cream ale it's kind of nice. Doesn't have to be complicated either. Heat the water in your boil kettle, toss in the grain (in a bag preferrably), close the kettle, cover with blanket (or don't), come back in an hour .

Update on the recipe posted in Post #9: Started drinking this weekend. Matches the style well. Subtle malt and hops. Corn flavor is present but not overpowering. I think Perle is a good hop choice but any noble/noble-derived hop would do. Next time I would up the 60 min. hop addition by .25 oz. to increase bitterness a little.

I bottled the below recipe this weekend:
1# Flaked Maize (Corn),
1# Pilsner Malt
3.3# Pilsen LME,
2# Pilsen DME
1 oz Cascade hop pellets (60 min)
½ oz Cascade pellets (15)
½ oz Cascade pellets (5 min)
US-05 dry yeast.

I ended up mashing the grains for about an hour on the advice of someone on HBT. I also bumped up the ABV to 5.5 by adding a second # of DME. I was afraid and still am that the addition of extra malt would hide the hop flavor, but only time will tell.

I took a sip of the uncarbonated beer. It was malty and sweet with a hint of hops.
Considering I spent all weekend drinking IIPA, it was a nice subtle, light beer.
Of course all the flavors still have time and can come together and change for the better.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429537255.941761.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429537283.199513.jpg

Many weeks after bottling and this has become my favorite beer. It is malty, slight hop & sweet and creamy.
I under carbed it a bit but that doesn't hurt this beer in the slightest. This recipe (posted above) is a keeper.
I am going to make more of this soon.
Since I have 1/2 oz of Citra hop I may add it at flameout to make a slight citra cream aleView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431818265.778908.jpg

That looks pretty nice. Very light on color for a mostly extract beer. It looks like it has a good head on it. Does the head dissipate quickly?? I'll give you a point off for the Yankees glass but good job.

Back