Cream ale on an IPA yeast bed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA last weekend and plan to do bananas fosters cream ale next weekend and was wondering if I could just dump the wort on top of my IPA's yeast bed when I rack the IPA to the secondary? Will the hops from the IPA mess with the cream ale?

I would wash it first (look at stickies in yeast forum), I would think there is a lot of hop crap in the bottom of that yeast cake. Washing isn't hard to do and will get rid of some of that unwanted crud.

I would think it's possible to pick up a touch of grassy flavors from the hop matter, but that's just a guess on my part. There's a thread on here with pics about how to wash and reuse yeast (sorry, don't have time to do the search atm). Might consider doing that the day before you rack?

I too think you should wash your yeast instead of pitch on the cake. Your Cream Ale will pick up off flavors by pitching right on that trub. I washed a yeast cake this weekend following the thread directions in the yeast forum and it was super easy. Give yourself a few days between washing and pitching so that it has time to settle and you can decant the liquid you don't need.

"If your yeast cake smells like hops, your cream ale will taste like hops"

- Unknown :)

Give yourself a few days between washing and pitching so that it has time to settle and you can decant the liquid you don't need.

+1

I also give it a few days. In addition, in most cases you won't need a starter if you reuse your yeast within a week. Use Mr. Malty to calculate how much yeast you need.

+1

I also give it a few days. In addition, in most cases you won't need a starter if you reuse your yeast within a week. Use Mr. Malty to calculate how much yeast you need.

I should have mentioned that too... I washed a cake on Friday and got the green light for an unplanned brewday yesterday. I just pitched a jar of yeast without making a starter and it took off in less than 9 hours.

If you've dry hopped that IPA heavily and it's over 7% I would not only wash your yeast, but make a starter from it as well. I would be concerned that the yeast might be a little stressed from such an environment and I would want to ensure that I have healthy yeast, not just a lot of yeast. Hop oils tend to coat the yeast cells just the way they do bacteria, so their viability might be a little questionable.

Latest posts

Back