Cream Ale/ KY common parti gyle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHC_

Reaction score
Thoughts?

I'm thinking of doing a BIAB imperial Cream Ale (maybe Bosmo's) no sparge followed by a KY common. Adding the dark grains and some extra corn and maybe a little flaked wheat in the sparge for the common. Would a 30 minute timeframe be enough to convert the additional corn/wheat? I can make up gravity in the common w brown sugar.

I really enjoy cream ales and lighter beers during the summer so this would give me 10 gallons ready about April with time to brew more ready by May or June. Just in time for grilling season and backyard gatherings.

For the cream ale
13 lbs 2 row (or 6 row?)
2 lb flaked maize or corn grits
1 lb carapils
2 lb sugar
1 oz mittelfruh
1 oz Crystal
Mash at 151 for 60 min

This is essentially Bosmo's imperial Cream Ale rounded up for BIAB and no sparge and with only one mash and hop schedule like biermunchers cream of three crops.
Should be around 1070 I'd guess. Haven't gotten into any software or apps yet so it's really just an educated shot in the dark. Maybe 1 lb Vienna in the mash? I did that for the 10 gallon batch of Co3C I brewed and it was quite tasty.

Drain off 6.5 gallins, 60 min boil.

Double batch sparge for the KY common. Add 2 lb corn 4 oz chocolate malt and 4 oz crystal 120. Add 3.5 gallons water at 160°, steep 30 min, drain and sparge with 3.5 gallons 172 water for 15 min. 60 min boil.
If I'm low on gravity I'll make it up w brown sugar, sometimes used in KY commons.
60 min 1 oz cluster
15 min .5 oz cluster
0min .5 oz cluster

Both fermented with US-05

Thoughts?

Back