Crazy yeast bag idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you considering half size? 15 gallons? That's a hell of a test. Have you priced ingredients for a 15 gallon batch? The grains aren't too bad, but the hops can take a bite.

What are you considering half size? 15 gallons? That's a hell of a test. Have you priced ingredients for a 15 gallon batch? The grains aren't too bad, but the hops can take a bite.

Good point. It substantiates the strong impression that the OP hasn't brewed any beer yet, ever. Wonder where he's located.:D

Good point. It substantiates the strong impression that the OP hasn't brewed any beer yet, ever. Wonder where he's located.:D

Impression? The OP stated they haven't brewed before in the first post :confused:

The OP also didn't say s/he was doing a hop-forward beer as a tester. A blonde ale would be a great test beer and could use a very light hop schedule.

Don't worry about me learning how to brew. I work with a guy that's own awards for his beers so he's going to teach me

I decided to go 4" up from the bottom for the thermometer

image-3333500875.jpg

I have more questions for those willing to help.

1. Should I put a sight glass on it?

2. I got one of the head honchos at work to do the math to figure out how many btu's I need for a burner and it worked out to be 50,000 - 60,000 btu's. So my question is what does everyone think of the bayou classic sp10?

Thanks for any help

3. Will an immersion chiller work? I'm trying to save some money by not using a pump.

4. If I have to buy a pump should I make a tangential fitting to whirlpool?

Can anyone tell me why this won't work now? I drew a simple pic to help ppl understand.

image-3284977500.jpg

I build my tank like I was normally except make bolts going up on the clad rings and make a removable cone to add for fermenting in the same vessel.. All I have to do is rotate it after I bolt on the cone using the arms attached at the sides with bearings on them.. Hopefully I've explained this well enough

so you invert it to turn it into a conical? I'm intrigued. How will you vent CO2?

I have a question: Since fermentation produces heat how are you going to keep your wort cool in an insulated fermenter?

This is an interesting idea. How do you plan to seal the connection between the cone lid and the kettle? Rubber gasket?

retread2 said:
I have a question: Since fermentation produces heat how are you going to keep your wort cool in an insulated fermenter?
Not sure yet.. Maybe I'll keep it outside (hidden)

BlackGoat said:
This is an interesting idea. How do you plan to seal the connection between the cone lid and the kettle? Rubber gasket?

Ya a rubber gasket will work.. I've done it on 200bbl fermenters

kjackson82 said:
What's the dimensions of this pot/tank?
22" dia. X 22" high without the cone.. I haven't made the cone yet but I'll figure out the measurements for a 60 degree cone

Your going to have some serious boil off so do a few test runs to figure out how much extra water you'll need to start with.

As for fermenting temp, I think I would put a coil in it from the get go. You don't want to rely on the most unreliable thing (weather) to maintain good fermenting temps. Especially when you start making big batches. I would think putting this much effort into it before you've even brewed a batch, that it would piss you off to have just "ok" beer rather than awesome beer due to bad fermenting temps and not being able to cool the wort in the given amount of time to avoid dms!

kjackson82 said:
Your going to have some serious boil off so do a few test runs to figure out how much extra water you'll need to start with. As for fermenting temp, I think I would put a coil in it from the get go. You don't want to rely on the most unreliable thing (weather) to maintain good fermenting temps. Especially when you start making big batches. I would think putting this much effort into it before you've even brewed a batch, that it would piss you off to have just "ok" beer rather than awesome beer due to bad fermenting temps and not being able to cool the wort in the given amount of time to avoid dms!

Good idea.. Should I make a coil or make a jacket around the tank for cold water to run through?

Both... Gives you options... Plus you gotta think about the fact that with such a large diameter that your coil isn't going to make a whole lot of contact in a 5 or 10 gallon batch in such a wide pot unless you design it a little differently.

This IS interesting. I like the inverting idea; really shows an original way of keeping materials to a minimum.

For the cooling, I saw something about a "double rib cage" design immersion chiller. That would be optimal for such a large container, I'd assume.

I know it's taking me a long time but I'm back to it today after a long laser eye surgery recovery. Got the cone cut into a 42" x 42" square ready to circle shear then cut the chord (the pie section) out and roll it into a cone.. I'll take more pics along the way

For the cooling, if you can implement a jacket, that'd be the way to go, imo. No doubt that's what the big kids do with those fermenters your company is cranking out. No worries about how to plumb ins and outs, no worries about contaminating an entire batch because of some bit of crud that was stuck on an immersion chiller, and I'd imagine there'd be a lot more surface area in contact with the beer via a jacket than an IC could provide...

Cheers!

Ya I'm making a jacket that just goes from top to the bottom on the tank. Not the cone though

I also got a nice 3' section of 1/2" glass tubing for free since they cut it too short for any of the tanks at work.

Back