Crazy water talk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheBasement

Reaction score
Here's just a crazy idea I have had and will be putting into action when the weather decides to cooperate. I understand the perils associated with this so no need to try and talk me out of it. I am awaiting a large snow event here on Long Island, New York. Hardly a year goes by where we don't get at least one. Well, I want to make an all grain beer using water harvested from snow. The big question is, what treatment should I do to the snow water prior to brewing? Is there any "cookie cutter" regimen I could use to make sure the water is adequate for brewing? Or should I just go for it and see what happens? A third option is that I use my tap water which always gives me a good mash, and just use the snow for the sparge. What do Y'all think?

JONNYROTTEN - I think you may be correct. A friend of mine is responsible for the lack of snow. He bought a new snowblower after the last storm, so I think the curse is on.

enkamaina - Not really, It's pretty surprising how much water you get from snow. Especially around here since our snows tend to be dense and wet. Realistically (scientifically) speaking, you need 8.36 pounds of snow to get one gallon of water. So I really need 66.88 pounds of snow to get the 8 gallons I require. I can guarantee that will one good storm here I can harvest that much in about 10 minutes tops.

NY Toxic Snow Ale. I could send you some California vineyard run-off for some sulfur content to go with it! If someone else could pitch in some of that Louisiana beach oil and maybe a little diesel soil from the Midwest, you'd really have something!

Just kidding man, but that sounds like a massive waste of time and effort.

In in NNJ, so within your region, and I wish a pox on thee for suggesting we might get snow! Okay, it's bound to happen I guess... sigh.

I brewed using 100% snow last winter. I collected it in kettles and coolers and melted it down (Use low heat! Scorched snow will actually taste bad!). I didn't treat it at all, which was part of the experiment. I made a simple hoppy pale ale with it, which came out just fine and was crystal clear. Nothing odd about the brew day at all, really.

If I did this now, I'd probably try a crisp lager. Lager yeast don't care as much about Calcium and such. Bohemian Pils is known for its soft water.

Best if you can pass the water through a filter prior to brewing - I used a 200 micron one - because there was some particulate matter in it despite the snow being "fresh" and bright white.

I wouldn't do it unless you distill it. Snow, just like rainwater pulls pollution out of the air. Lots of nasty stuff.

When I started out brewing I was doing extracts. I made a "Rainbrew Stout". I was very proud of the punny name. I don't know, I just like having the little gimmicky aspect. So yes, it may be wasteful of time and energy, but it just seems to add an aspect of uniqueness to the brewing to use things like rain water and melted snow. That being said, I do sort of like the name NY Toxic Snow Ale. Actually though, I think that the environmental regulations put in place over the years have reduced airborne toxins and there is really not much to worry about.

When I started out brewing I was doing extracts. I made a "Rainbrew Stout". I was very proud of the punny name. I don't know, I just like having the little gimmicky aspect. So yes, it may be wasteful of time and energy, but it just seems to add an aspect of uniqueness to the brewing to use things like rain water and melted snow. That being said, I do sort of like the name NY Toxic Snow Ale. Actually though, I think that the environmental regulations put in place over the years have reduced airborne toxins and there is really not much to worry about.

I get that. No one can fault you for seeking some novelty! There was a thread a year ago or so where a dude was talking about lugging his 3v rig up to a remote cabin location just to brew with the spring water that supplied the cabin (via a water duct through the cabin, if I am not mistaken).

I thought to my self, 1. F that while on vacation; I'm trying to consume beer not produce it 2. My wife would kill me if I took a whole day out of vacation to brew 3. Who the hell am I to tell this guy not to do that.....

If it makes you smile while you're scrubbing the kettle I say do it!

While I had the opportunity to try this out over the past week, I regret to have to report that I did not brew. I wanted to, but it was not in the schedule. On teh bright side, I did manage to grab a cup of snow and melt it. I tested the PH, and it was 6.3. My tap water is 6.8. I think that would be OK. I also tasted the resulting water and it tasted rather nice. I would like to discuss more but I have a doctors appointment scheduled in a few minutes. There's some strange growths appearing on my body and I need to have that checked out. Perhaps I will brew this weekend if I can collect enough of the remaining snow before it all melts.

Calling rainwater or snowmelt contaminated and undrinkable, is a bit of a stretch. It's often less contaminated than typical surface water or groundwater sources. However, it is NOT pure. There are airborne contaminants such as nitrogen oxides and sulfur oxides and maybe some other minor things, but through the work of USEPA, you don't have to worry about poisoning yourself from that water. Those oxides do dissolve in water, but their contribution is not a problem.

Using rainwater or snowmelt is OK as long as you understand that it is not pure and can contain biologic threats. But since we are boiling our wort, biologic threats are neutralized.

Back