Crazy Split Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristotelian

Reaction score
I split a two gallon batch of Belgian Blonde, one with cultured dregs from Ommegang Hennepin and the other with yeast from De Ranke XX Bitter. This is day three of fermentation. The Hennepin seems to have settled down to start cleaning up with the beer looking a golden bronze color. The De Ranke is swirling all around with a cloudy mustard yellow green.

I added my pellet hops directly to the boil (no bags) and the De Ranke got more of the trub.

Anything to worry about here? I have done split fermentations before but never seen such drastic differences.

IMG_20160425_183748.jpg

I'd say it's like you said - one has settled down and the other is still churning. I wouldn't worry about it at all. JMO.

second that, I do split batches alot and see something like what you are here all the time depending on the strains I use.

Thanks, now I can sleep at night! (I was pretty sure it is nothing to worry about but I haven't seen anything quite as ugly as that mustard color).

Puts my split batch with WLP001 and WLP 530 in perspective - the 001 has dropped noticeably clearer, but what you got going here is fascinating.

Back