Crazy Kolsch Yeast, is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoCardinals09

Reaction score
So I used a Kolsch yeast for the first time for a lite beer for the wife! Usually other yeast will do its thing and ferment in about 5-7 days, but this crazy Kolsch yeast is still going crazy after 11 days! Is this kind of fermentation normal for a Kolsch yeast? How long does its usually take for fermentation to stop with this type of yeast?

Cheers

wow. dont recall seeing too many "it's still fermenting please help" type of posts. :)

sounds like good news for you.

let it do it's thing, mate. nothing abnormal at all.

In the two batches that I've made using Wyeast Kolsch yeast, fermentation was complete in about four days. I did do two day starters (1/2 cup DME per 2 cups water once each day) which got them buggers going pretty good (the second time I used harvested yeast from the first). In fact, my fermentation was so aggressive that I blew the airlock on the second batch. Fermentation was at about 64 degrees for each which might be a bit too warm for the Wyeast variant and produced a bit of fruity esters in the first batch (the second is conditioning now).

I've heard the White Labs variant is much cleaner fermenting at warmer (ale) temperatures and might be more of a chugger compared to the Wyeast.

There'll probably be krausen the day that you bottle/rack from secondary. Kolsch yeast is not a flocculent strain and needs cold conditioning for a bright beer. I used it for a cream ale which turned out crystal clear with a couple weeks in the fridge and careful pouring from the bottle, of course the whirlfloc helps too.

Remember, fermentation is complete when the SG of the beer remains constant over a several day period; not when the airlock stops bubbling. You could be off gassing CO2 from the beer while the yeasty beasties are all sleeping.

I have only used the Wyeast Kolsch, and I have active fermentation for nearly a month. Let it go. Also, I managed to cold crash it for a couple of days to settle everything out, or it might have gone on for longer.

I brew a lot of Kolsch. Takes 3-4 weeks to fully ferment @ 60F, most of the time have to rack from under krausen, messy and slow working yeast

I brew a lot of Kolsch. Takes 3-4 weeks to fully ferment @ 60F, most of the time have to rack from under krausen, messy and slow working yeast

WOW really 3-4 weeks? Thats crazy. I wont get any off flavors or anything? Im fermenting at about 67 degrees. Is that an ok temp? Im using the Wyeast 2565!

WOW really 3-4 weeks? Thats crazy. I wont get any off flavors or anything? Im fermenting at about 67 degrees. Is that an ok temp? Im using the Wyeast 2565!

My last batch was pitched at 75 degrees and then kept in a 64-65 degree basement. Fermentation was complete in less than a week. Unfortunately the beer turned out a bit fruity; a taste that has not fully gone away in the four weeks since it was bottled. The beer was a cream ale. I don't know what the fermentation was, but I'm going to bet that it was a lot closer to 70+ than the 64 degree ambient.

yeah, as others say, you can get complete fermentation with 2565 within 4-5 days but fruity esters or off-flavors will be present if you ferment around 65-70F ambient. I personally never let it go higher than 60, usually 58F ambient and pitch cold at same 58F. With some patience you get crisp and clean authentic tasting Kolsch with slight flavour of chardonay.

Back