Crazy Cloudy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
I'm not new to brewing but new to doing extract batches. So pardon my ignorance on some subjects.

I recently kegged a palmer extract kit for a hefe. It is murky as murky. Like basically mud water. It tastes great. That is a non-issue. But the look of the beer is, let's say, uh fugly.

Before you make the comment I am well aware that hefes should be cloudy. I get that. But this is beyond cloudy. It basically looks like natural apple cider.

So my question is this. Is it possibly an extract thing? Do extracts come out more cloudy? It's all DME by the way if that makes a difference.

Maybe a yeast thing? I used WB-06 and it's my first time using it.

I was also wondering about the brewing method. If you are not familiar with Palmer's extract method it calls for half of the extract to be stirred in at the end.

There is no boiling of the last portion of extract whatsoever. Do you get more clarity with extract that is boiled as opposed to stirred in?

Why don't you post a pic, and then we can tell you that everything is fine, and it's supposed to be that cloudy... Things like this, pics really help.
;)

I'm not worried about it being 'fine'. It tastes great. That's not the problem.

Even Hefes shouldn't look like unfiltered apple juice.

I will try and take a pic and post it. Right now I'm 'working' so it's not the optimal time to pour a beer lol

Here's a picture of a bottle-conditioned, all grain hefe fermented with WLP320 I made in the spring.
It was a one-third decoction of the mash, re-added before the boil. I turned a portion of my malted wheat to flour and expected a cloudy beer.
How does this compare visually? It's definitely not as clear as some worts I've lautered out before, but that's OK - it wasn't the point.

hefe1.jpg

I'm not worried about it being 'fine'. It tastes great. That's not the problem.

Even Hefes shouldn't look like unfiltered apple juice.

I will try and take a pic and post it. Right now I'm 'working' so it's not the optimal time to pour a beer lol

I'm just wondering if your primary time was too short and extra suspended particles ended up in the bottles.

Are you bottling or kegging? If kegging how many pours have been fugly?

Here's a picture of a bottle-conditioned, all grain hefe fermented with WLP320 I made in the spring.
It was a one-third decoction of the mash, re-added before the boil. I turned a portion of my malted wheat to flour and expected a cloudy beer.
How does this compare visually?

Well it looks pretty close lol. Mine is attached.

I've made hefes in the past and never had them this cloudy. I was trying to rule out extract 'issues'. But crap, if yours looks like this then we are good to roll :)

I've been telling people who tried it it's suppose to be like that but they keep making faces anyways.

up.png

I'm just wondering if your primary time was too short and extra suspended particles ended up in the bottles.

Are you bottling or kegging? If kegging how many pours have been fugly?

I fermented for 14 days. Cold crashed for 24 hours then dropped it into the keg.

I'd say I've drawn 12 glasses or so from it. They all look the same.

As I keep saying; the beer is good. I'm just wondering if this is normal. If it is, then whatever I don't care :)

"There is no boiling of the last portion of extract whatsoever. Do you get more clarity with extract that is boiled as opposed to stirred in?"

During the boil, you're supposed to get a "hot" break. Heat will help break down some of the unfermented starches and proteins. If you don't boil a portion of your wort, it leaves a measure of starch and protein in suspension.
I'd expect a Pilsner extract to exhibit a better chance of clarity than a Bavarian wheat because the ingredients and methods making the extract are different.

Forgot to ask ... what yeast did you use?
I was using liquid WLP320 yeast and it's considered "low flocculation", which is fine in my opinion if you like a young wheat beer for bottle-conditioning.

During the boil, you're supposed to get a "hot" break. Heat will help break down some of the unfermented starches and proteins. If you don't boil a portion of your wort, it leaves a measure of starch and protein in suspension.

Forgot to ask ... what yeast did you use?
I was using liquid WLP320 yeast and it's considered "low flocculation", which is fine in my opinion if you like a young wheat beer for bottle-conditioning.

None of the Palmer kits boil all of the ingredients. He only calls for half of the extract to be boiled with the remaining half stirred in post boil. I thought the same thing about breakdown. Hence me pointing that out.

I have another of his kits to make. Not sure I will do it that way again assuming my beers are more cloudy because of it. Conversely I'm going to add some gelatin to the keg for the IPA and see if I can clear it up a bit.

I used WB-06. It has low flocculation so some cloudiness was/is expected.

Back