cranfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a five gallon batch of cranberry wine, using Ed Wort's recipe but simply substituting Ocean Spray Cranberry juice for the apple juice, and using regular sugar. I put this in the carboy on 9/22 and just sampled it a few moments ago. It's delicious. Sweet but not too sweet with a tangy cranberry sharpness. This stuff bubbles for along time though. I had airlock action for a month and a half. Time is your friend (winemaking after all). I plan to bottle it tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it will taste in the summer, and next Christmas-

E

Technically this will be a blend, as I don't think Ocean Spray sells any product that's 100% cranberry juice. They have 100% juice products, but it's cranberry cut with apple and grape, if memory serves. You'll need to go with something like RW Knudsen's to get 100% cranberry juice. And you'll pay for it, stuff isn't cheap.

Just curious why the regular sugar? Is this better than the corn sugar? And what yeast did you use? I'm going to try a small batch like this, but just wondering on what sugar i should use for best results...only one way to find out i guess, unless someone else has tried other sugar and yeasts. :)

According to my records I have done 25 gallons of this same variation of Apfelwein with Ocean Spray cranberry, with both table and corn sugar. I found the table sugar to be cheaper and to give very good results, but it's a matter of opinion. I always use a champagne yeast, I've noticed inconsistencies in Ocean Spray juice, but I like it all... hope that helps.

Jmac00, I've mnostly used regular table sugar in my wines. Occasionally use something like turbinado or brown sugar, depending onn fruit being used, but that's to ADD flavor, not to remove flavor, like using corn sugar instead of table sugar in beer. Don't really get the cider flavor when using regular sugar in wine. I'm not sure if it's the nature of the different strains of yeast, if it's from extra flavor and alcohol level, or what, but never had an issue with it.

Plus, as said, ti's cheap and easy. :)

For comparison purposes, what was your FG? I have something very similar that is crystal clear in the carboy so I was thinking I may be ready to bottle soon. I haven't taken any gravity readings yet though.

Just curious why the regular sugar? Is this better than the corn sugar? And what yeast did you use? I'm going to try a small batch like this, but just wondering on what sugar i should use for best results...only one way to find out i guess, unless someone else has tried other sugar and yeasts. :)

Regular sugar is said to leave a slight cider taste when used in beer. If you are making cider then that flavor would not be noticed and table sugar is cheaper and easier to find. The only disadvantage is that it does not dissolve as easily.

100% Cranberry Juice Cocktail from Oceanspray is mostly apple juice followed by white grape juice with some cranberry juice. It is probably better labeled as CranApple juice. However I think that probably makes for a better wine than straight cranberry juice. The straight stuff is very potent and would probably need to be diluted.

Craig

I just posted a recipe for wine from straight cranberry jiuice in my holiday wines thread. :) And your'e right, it's cut 1:1 with water.

Latest posts

Back