Cranberry peach mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peach can be a very light in flavor. Cranberries can be very dominant. Is there a specific blend that you are trying to catch or are you simply tossing some flavors up in the air to see what might stick? :)

Maybe using cranberry juice in the primary then adding 4lbs of peaches in the secondary? I feel balancing the sweetness of the peaches and the overpowering tartness of the cranberry would be tough.

I would do peach in primary and peach in secondary. When that was done, rack and add the cranberries. Start tasting after 6 or 7 days and rack again when you like the taste.

Maybe using cranberry juice in the primary then adding 4lbs of peaches in the secondary? I feel balancing the sweetness of the peaches and the overpowering tartness of the cranberry would be tough.

Baabaadoo, The thing is that this is not for a cordial. Peaches may be sweet (assuming that the variety is sweet and the fruit is fully ripe) but all their sugar is used up when you add yeast. So all you get is the flavor of the peach... and store bought peaches - at least in this here neck of the woods are all but tasteless - since they are picked not for ripeness but for their shelf life and apparent lack of blemishes and not their taste... so unless oklahoma man grows his own peaches or can pick the fruit at their peak ripeness I don't know that I would agree that there is any obvious sweetness to be balanced...When was the last time you ate a peach and had the thick sweet juice run down your chin?

Even the top commercial peach meads from places like Schramm's or Moonlight are very light in peach flavor - unfortunately it fades pretty easily. Apricots, which give a peach like finish hold up a bit better, but still it will be a light flavor even with a bunch of aprocot. Cranberries hold up well and are also very acidic so they would drown out the peach.

The best fruits to use in mead are the tannic/acidic ones like berries, currants, cranberries, tart cherries, etc... as these provide the acidity and tannins to structure the mead and counterbalance residual sweetness from the honey.

Run tree ripened peaches thru a juicer. Add the honey to the juice. There will be plenty of peach flavor in the mead. I made this, use peach blossom honey I sourced from Georgia. It was a major hit and did not last long.

When was the last time you ate a peach and had the thick sweet juice run down your chin?

July-August of every year I go peach picking. Missed it last year, but planning on doing a peach mead with them this year. I actually get sweet peaches with your description often from the farm I pick at. They taste amazing.

Back