Craisin Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made this last year, and it turned out pretty good, but there was still room for improvement.

So here we go ......

I took a 48 ounce bag of craisins and put them in a stock pot. I brought 1 gallon of water to a rolling boil, and dumped it over the craisins, and stirred to mix well. Covered the pot and allowed to cool overnight. The next day I scooped out the reconstituted cranberries, and dumped it through a colander to separate the cranberries from the juice. When it was all strained, I had just over half a gallon of very sweet cranberry juice. I measured it at 23.2 brix. This translates to a gravity of 1.097. I also kept the leftover cranberries, to be added into the secondary. I ended up with 2 - 8 cup bowls of cranberries. Hopefully these will add the needed cranberry flavor in the end product.

I took a small amount of the fresh cider and warmed it a bit. I then added the SafeCider yeast, which is the same yeast I used last year. I let this mixture rest for 15 to 20 minutes.

I added the cranberry juice to 4 gallons of fresh pressed apple cider that was treated with campden and allowed to rest for 48 hours. After adding the cranberry juice, my SG was at 1.054.

I aerated the mixture and added the yeast. The next day I added 1 tsp of yeast energizer and 1 tsp of yeast nutrient. I didn't have any, so I made a lunch run to the homebrew supply store.

It is now resting in the basement, but I may have to get a heater near it, to try and get it closer to 70 degrees, or so.

More to come .....

I would keep the temperature lower than 70 °F, toward the lower end of the range for the yeast.

I just ran my Craisins thru the Cuisinart and dumped them
In the fermenter. Racked the Cider off after it hit 1.004

Last edited:
Temp range on the SafCider yeast is 10 - 30 C. That translates to 50F to 86F. Mine is currently 60F in the basement. I moved it into a small room and placed a small heater in there. The thermometer on the counter reads 70F. I just don't want it to take a month to ferment out. I have 5 more batches I need to ferment.

Commercially produced craisins are sprayed with vegetable oil to prevent them from sticking together too much, doesn't that give you problems? Also, I'm also curious as to why you're using craisins instead of fresh cranberries? I know fresh cranberries are seasonal, but they freeze really well & can be defrosted any time.
Regards, GF.

Back