Craigslist gods finally give me a break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dietz

Reaction score
After missing out on a deal with (2) 5 gallon and (1) 6.5 gallon carboys all for $30 I finally scored a deal.

Went to pick up an empty grill propane tank for $10. I get there after work and the guy says he can't sell it to me because he called around to make sure it was up to date and it wasn't so it needed a pressure test blah, blah, blah. I tell him I'll take it off his hands if he is just giving it away. So I took it and exchanged it for a full (full as far as exchange tanks go) Amerigas tank with a fresh test date for $18! I am doing my first batch on Saturday and the tank was the only missing piece. I was planning on buying a new empty for $30 and having it filled, saved $30!

Sorry for the fairly usedless post, but SWMBO is having a problem sharing my excitement over a propane tank :tank:

On a side note, first brew is going to be the midwest sierra pale ale clone. I'm not too concerned with the "clone" part, just figured it was a good kit to start with. I'm a hop-head and thinking about dry hopping. Any suggestions on type/amount? I'm planning on 3-4 week primary then to keg.

Thanks -

Cool, I just scored my first ever craigslist deal as well. Complete 7.5gal turkey fryer NIB $20. Having a Hefe to celebrate as I type. It looked like they could have filmed a episode of hoarders at the place so I might have to have a second.

So you essentially made Amerigas pay for your propane tank? How very ethical of you!

You've seen the new Progresso soup commercial where the woman calls the company to brag about how she can finally fit into a pair of jeans, and then asks to speak to a woman after the man on the end of the line acts less than excited? I think this might be our equivalent.

Airplanedoc said:
They absolutely are. Propane tanks have to be inspected after 12 years. Then determining on what kind of inspection is done determines the recertification time.

This is true. But if my understanding is correct, when you trade them in, the company should make sure all the tanks are up to scratch. That's how it works with my lhbs and the co2 tank exchanges.

They absolutely are. Propane tanks have to be inspected after 12 years. Then determining on what kind of inspection is done determines the recertification time.

All pressure vessels should be inspected at intervals. The thing with propane tanks is that many are refilled forever without inspection, due to the lower pressures involved. There is no regulation if I take my tank to the local Co-op and get it refilled. They don't care. Propane tanks are good for maybe 250 psi, not the high levels of CO2 or other gasses.

Also propane companies that exchange tanks have that figured in on the screwing you get when you buy a tank from them. They are 15-17lb filled when you could pay less at a refill facility and get a full 20lb.

They (propane exchange companies) have it worked into their business model.

I generally have mine filled until they look really bad, then I take them and swap them at the rip off tank exchange.

I found a propane tank in a stream in my backyard that sat there for who knows how many years, exchanged for a nice new one late one Brew night when i was getting low on my other propane tank and damn i felt happy so I know how you feel!

Propane companies build into their costs the fact that they inspect all tanks when necessary as they come through.

Youtube "propane tank BLEVE". Even though the chance is small, even if I'd have to pay for it I'd do the inspection.

Sorry for the fairly usedless post, but SWMBO is having a problem sharing my excitement over a propane tank :tank:

Amen! My wife didn't really give a hoot when I told her all about the beginnings of a pellicle I just saw form... Congrats on the find!

PS. I've brewed the MWS Sierra Pale Ale kit. Turned out pretty well. I smoked the grains for a little bit to give it something a little extra. I was quite happy with the resultant beer! :ban:

Back