Cracked open my first brews today.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Rebel_Grizzly

Reaction score
Today I cracked open my first brews. One batch was a hefe and one batch was a blackberry kolsch. I'm not going to lie, the kolsch was my first brew I've ever done and I tweaked it every way I could. I added orange juice and zest of orange and lemon to the boil as well as blackberries to the secondary. And this is the best beer I've ever had! My fiance loves it and she is picky with beer. BUT! I opened the first bottle of kolsch and it was flat. I opened a second d bottle and it was perfect. I'm not sure why this happened. The first one I opened was a flip top and flat.
I'm going to be giving a lot away to family so I don't want some flat and some carbed.
The hefe came out great as well. I love hefes, the lady not so much. But both ive opened are perfectly carbonated.

Regardless, I'm amazed how well these beers came out. It's amazing what u can do with a lot of research. Thanks home brew talk!

Could be that it hasn't conditioned completely, but more often then not it probably didn't get enough sugars to carb. I don't know what your process is but by adding the sugar water to the bottling bucket and then racking the beer on top of it usually in my experience gets the sugars fully mixed into the beer for correct carbonation.

Beer has been bottles for 2 weeks. Both bottled with 3/4 cup priming sugar in 2 cups water, boiled for 10 mins. Cooled to 70° , stirred Into my beer before bottling. That was the only flat one so far and we have opened 5 tonight..... Yea, its that good. I opened another flip top and it was great. Why would it just be that one?

Beer has been bottles for 2 weeks. Both bottled with 3/4 cup priming sugar in 2 cups water, boiled for 10 mins. Cooled to 70° , stirred Into my beer before bottling. That was the only flat one so far and we have opened 5 tonight..... Yea, its that good. I opened another flip top and it was great. Why would it just be that one?

Probably just a bad seal on that one flip top. If you start to get other flat beers from that batch, it could be that you didn't mix the priming solution thoroughly enough, but in this case it just sounds like a bad seal since it has only happened with one bottle

Probably just a bad seal on that one flip top. If you start to get other flat beers from that batch, it could be that you didn't mix the priming solution thoroughly enough, but in this case it just sounds like a bad seal since it has only happened with one bottle
I believe it was a bad seal. I mixed it every 3-4 bottles while bottling. I just got a beer fridge and it was doing good for a day or 2 now it won't go lover than 50° which is the temp outside....

Congrats! Way to go! My first brews were not so great. I'm only just now getting some important things down and they are gradually improving.

Congratulations! My first two brews came out tasting pretty subpar, at best... Which then led to me abandoning brewing for two years. Glad to hear that you're off and running!

Probably a bad seal to explain the one that isn't carbed. If I were you, I'd go ahead and replace all the seals before your next batch, just to be in the safe side. They're about $10 per hundred or so, so no reason not to to avoid this in the future.

Congratulations! My first two brews came out tasting pretty subpar, at best... Which then led to me abandoning brewing for two years. Glad to hear that you're off and running!

Probably a bad seal to explain the one that isn't carbed. If I were you, I'd go ahead and replace all the seals before your next batch, just to be in the safe side. They're about $10 per hundred or so, so no reason not to to avoid this in the future.

I didn't know u could buy new seals. I only have 12 of those bottles, the rest are capped, still gonna need them though.
I really didn't think my kolsh was going to turn out good, I messed up the hop times and fermented at room temp 65-70° . that is what thi instructions said to do though. The hefe I got a good grain/extract kit from my local beer shop. 7 bridges brewing is all organic and a very nice store. They are mainly an online shop I believe. They gave me some good pointers on the hefe and I was on my way. The SNPA I just brewed is all ingredients from them and they helped me out big time on some questions I wasn't able to find d through research. So far the brew looks perfect and took off within 24 hours.
Just got home from work, beer time!

Latest posts

Back