Cracked Erlenmeyer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeBaby

Reaction score
Let me first say that yes, i'm an idiot.

I was lazy and decided to boil my DME for a yeast starter in my erlenmeyer on the stovetop. I planned on starting the water bath warm then cool it with ice to avoid shocking (and cracking) the glass. Sure enough, as my starter was going, i noticed a nice crack going along the bottom and up the side a bit. Nothing was leaking to the best that i could tell, and completed my starter as usual.

So my question is, has anyone succeeded in fusing a crack in glass? I have access to a lab gas source/Bunsen burner. Is this worth the effort, or should i just suck it up and buy another erlenmeyer?

they are cheap, buy another.

if you know what you are doing, you can sometimes repair chips or small cracks in glass, but you need a very high heat flame for borosilicate glass, and to know what you are doing or else it will just crack all the way.

i boil directly and after it sits on the coutner for 10-15 min i put it in the water bath. How many times have you cycled your flasl?

good stuff. i think i'll just go ahead and get another. It may be an issue that my LHBS only supplies 'student grade' erlenmeyers, but screw it, we're only arguing about $20 give or take. I may take advantage of my situation and get a higher quality one through the biomedical/chemical suppliers though.

i boil directly and after it sits on the coutner for 10-15 min i put it in the water bath. How many times have you cycled your flasl?

I've only cycled it 2x, which is why i'm more peeved than usual. I made sure there weren't any cracks or chips when i bought it, but then again, i didn't give it the rest that you do before the water bath.

This is perhaps an obvious question, but what kind of stove are you boiling this on? You should not use these on electric stoves. They are for gas only.

I use my gas stove and an Erlenmeyer to boil starter wort all the time and have never had an issue with cracking, and mine was about $20 from my LHBS as well. I have even gone right into cool water with it.

Anymore, though, I will boil it up and then set it on a pot holder on my counter to cool overnight. Takes a bit more planning, but makes it super easy.

I always got nervous transferring a flask from burner to bath. I just decided to make the process easier/safer all around and made up a years worth of starter wort from some 2-row. I then pressure canned/jarred it. Now I just sanitize the flask, pour, and pitch.

As for setting it on the counter for a few minutes, I would suggest setting it on a towel/hot pad on the counter. Depending on your counter tops, they can be quite cold.

yep, again, I'm an idiot.

I did it on an electric. If i did it again i should have done the double-boil technique as mentioned by M_C.

You know what it probably was? it was probably because of all that bacteria that got into the starter because i didn't use the techniques of TakeSomeAdvice :cross:

LAWL. Don't forget to make your starters in the nude while lubed up with Vaseline! Don't want those visible wild yeasts flying off your clothes/body and into the starter!

I have a glass coffee pot that came with a wire "W" that you are supposed to use under it if using on an electric stove.
I normally use that pot when camping but have used it a few time on the electric stove with the provided wire "w" between burner and pot. It has so far not been a problem.
I cracked my flask last year doing the same thing you did and I had done it dozons of times before it cracked.
I haven't done it that way sence. now, i boil in a pot and cool with the lid on overnight. poor into my jug and pitch on my stir plate.

I always got nervous transferring a flask from burner to bath. I just decided to make the process easier/safer all around and made up a years worth of starter wort from some 2-row. I then pressure canned/jarred it. Now I just sanitize the flask, pour, and pitch.

This is what I do also, it's much faster and easier.

I'm surprised it didn't pop like a light bulb on you.
Don't worry, I can't count how many cheap or even expensive lessons I've learned (not necessarily homebrewing related) over the years.

This is perhaps an obvious question, but what kind of stove are you boiling this on? You should not use these on electric stoves. They are for gas only.

I use my gas stove and an Erlenmeyer to boil starter wort all the time and have never had an issue with cracking, and mine was about $20 from my LHBS as well. I have even gone right into cool water with it.

Anymore, though, I will boil it up and then set it on a pot holder on my counter to cool overnight. Takes a bit more planning, but makes it super easy.

Even with gas you shouldn't have the flame directly on the glass, its best to use a Ceramic Wire Gauze square between them. They're cheap and it also helps so the heat doesn't concentrate on one area on the bottom of the flask.
Here's one from United Nuclear, I'm sure you can find different sizes.
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_30&products_id=344

Back