cracked brewpot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
After no more than 4 batches of extract brewing, my brewpot (which is a $50 16 qt. thing from Bed Bath and Beyond or a similar store) has started to crack. The rim looks like a flipping battle ax. The walls of the thing show signs of cracking as well, but have not been noticed leaking fluids. I'm frustrated.
Has this happened to anyone else? I can only speculate that perhaps my pouring of recently cooled wort from brewpot to carboy (to aerate (sp)) could have had enough temp. difference to cause such a phenomenon.
Regardless- can some one help me identify the cause- so I can modify my current methods so as to NOT destroy my equipment?

Is it Stainless Steel? I haven't heard of this happening before. The only thing that i could think of is if it enamel coated and the enamel is starting to crack other than that I am a bit useless.

pictures would be good too

Cheers

What type of pot is it? SS, enamel covered, aluminum? Most of what you find in BBB and stores like that for under $100 are actually for show - the kind of stuff you hang on an overhead pot rack in your kitchen so it "looks" like you have a chef's kitchen. On the other hand, I found a 16QT enamel covered pot ($20) at target that I used for my first two brews (then I went and paid almost $200 for a SS mega from Nothern Brewers.) Long story short is; you get what you pay for. Ever think about going full boils? I know some say it's unethical, but you can pick up a keggle on craigs list for under $100 (I scored one for $40 - before I heard about all the "the brewery owns the keg - not the distributer" talk) You may be able to find one already set up from someone getting out of HB. It's worth a look. In the end, $50 bucks isn't alot for a good pot, but it is for a cracked one.
-good luck

Right- I should have mentioned that this is a s/s brewpot. I doubt I'll go ahead and add pics- I'm not a computer person. I'll will be bringing it back, and spending the money on a real brewpot. I'm even more frustrated that no one has at least the faintest idea what could have caused this. But- like has been said before- you get what you pay for. Too flipping bad $50 can't buy a damn brew pot. (sigh....)

It almost sounds like metal fatigue. I don’t know who made your pot, but someone or something fell asleep at the wheel there since it seems like your pot was made too brittle.

Latest posts

Back