Crack in Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdenmark

Reaction score
I have six gallon carbon that I have used for many brews the past year. I noticed this strange mark on the side of it last night before I started another brew. It is kinda gray to black and a slender slash about one to two inches. It does not appear to leak or anything. But I ended up putting my primary in a plastic carboy instead just out of paranoia.

Does anyone think that this could be a crack? I cant really tell and am not sure if it has potential to grow bacteria or cause any damage to my beers? Thanks for the advice.

Once plastic gets scratched, it is nearly impossible to kill all the nasties that can live in the nooks and crannies.

Any scrapes or gashes in the carboy have the potential to harbor bacteria and damage the beer. If there is even the slightest belief that it could be a scratched or damaged I wouldn't use it.

After a friend almost bled out after gashing his leg wide open when a glass carboy broke while he was carrying it, I'll never use a perfect one, never mind one that appears to be damaged!

Latest posts

Back