Crack in Bottom of Ale Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I just finished racking my IPA for secondary fermentation/dry hopping. As I was cleaning my Ale Pail a small crack right at the base of it. I checked and it was definitely leaking (though must have been slow leak). My assumption is that the beer/yeast clogged the hole eventually and all was fine.

My concern is if my beer is contaminated in any way. I did notice what appeared to be loose "yeast cake" floating and suspended in the beer - something I've never seen before in previous batches. I didn't think anything of it until noticing the crack.

I didn't notice any weird smells or colors or anything from the beer - what do you guys think? I've never spoiled a batch (knock on wood) so I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't notice any weird smells or colors or anything from the beer

Id guess you're fine, dodged a bullet. Buy a new fermenter, this is when you can justify buying an upgrade. Check out the speidel fermenters, I love mine

With a small crack, in a sealed fermenter with an airlock, there should be enough vaccuum pressure in there to prevent a leak- no air's getting in to displace the volume of beer that would have to leak out, so as a result no leak out. Once the lid is removed, then it'd start leaking. I've had exactly the same thing happen.

As far as contamination, possible, but not guaranteed. If you haven't noticed anything off in terms of taste/smell/gravity, you're probably in the clear. Yeast rafts and residual floating krausen are pretty common. As long as you didn't see an actual pellicle (photos would be helpful though), again you're probably in the clear.

Thanks all!

Yeah, definitely time for a new bucket. I just wish I had a good LHBS (I'm in Orlando) so I didn't have to pay $10 in shipping. I'll have to check out that speidel fermenter though.

I didn't take pictures because I thought it was fine - I just got worried when I saw the crack. I googled a pellicle though and there wasn't anything like that.

I'm thinking I'm fine too now - thanks for the reassurance!

Quick Update! Orlando just got a good homebrew store. It's called Homebrew Supplies, just south of downtown. Highly recommended!

Definitely check out the Speidel... I just got their 60L one. Its really simple, and extremely well designed. I also imagine the 30L is a bit easier to get the top off of on it. The airlock is very robust, and the spigot is designed very well.

Back