CP Bottle filler straight from fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazzaY

Reaction score
Just wondering if its possible to use a CP bottle filler straight from a bucket fermentor that Ive got instead of using kegs as I dont want to spend extra money on kegs and dont have space for them. What I was thinking of doing would be to add priming solution to the fermentor and let it get carbonated with a lid and no airlock so dont have any co2 escaping for the time it would normally be bottle conditioned. Would it be possible to do and would I need to get any attachments to hook up the beer line to the bucket?

Thanks

A sealed bucket will explode shortly after refermentation starts.

Kegs can take the pressure and so they are the way to go.

CP bottle filling, to me, is a good way to fill a few bottles for portability reasons when you normally just use kegs and keep them at home. If you're planning only to bottle, you may as well just use priming sugar. Bucket fermentation + CP filling isn't really saving you any time or money.

You'll need something that can hold pressure. 10 psi if cold, higher if warmer. Look at the carbonation charts. Whatever temp and carbonation level you use is the pressure itll need to be able to hold.

Fermonster is the cheapest thing I know that's specifically a fermenter. Outside that, used kegs work great.

Thanks guys. Was trying to look at a way to get sediment free beer so was going down this route but good to get a bit more info about it. Lucky I didnt let my fermenter explode

Was trying to look at a way to get sediment free beer so was going down this route
FWIW, I bottle straight from the fermenter but fill each bottle with a dextrose solution from a syringe to avoid stirring into the fermenter. (Assuming that is where you are worried about churning up sediment). Doesn’t really take as long as it sounds like it would once you have the technique down. Sorry, not exactly on topic, but an alternate route to consider.

I fill my bottles directly from the fermentor through a 3/8 tube and a bottle wand. I bottle prime with simple syrup using a small funnel and a 1/2 TBS measure. Depending on the size of bottles you have will determine the volume of syrup to make. i.e.
6 Gallons in the fermentor
Figure Trub loss = 1/2 Gal, so 5-1/2 Gal batch.
5-1/2 G * 128 oz = 704 oz to bottle.
704 oz / 12 oz bottles = 58.6 bottles
58.6 / 2 = 29.3 Tbs (1/2 Tbs primer per bottle)
29.3 Tbs / 16 (Tbs in a cup) = 1.83 cups
Round off and make 2 cups of simple syrup for 59 12 oz bottles.

I use the formula of 4.0 oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons of beer, which is what most recipes I've seen recommend.
Also, I find the syrup dissolves really well however, after conditioning, a small layer of sediment does collect, but stays in the bottle
when decanting into a glass. That is easy to remove with a bottle washer.

Back